sausage meat

Graham & Brenda

In France its called Char de Saucisse and is a mixture of minced veal,pork and beef usually and extremely good - no nasty breadcrumbs and gristly bits. I buy a lot because we love stuffed cabbage. My favourite concoction is char mixed with chopped apricots,onions and garlic and bound with tomato purée sprinkled with a little chilli powder. Blanch the cabbage in two halves for about ten mins,cool,cut out the stork and wrap leaves around layers of the char  and tie well with string,dosn't matter if it looks odd,until you either have lots of little ones or a large one. Simmer in boiling chicken stock for about an hour and enjoy. Use only Savoy type cabbage though for the leaves.

make sure you buy a good one. Mr O bought some the other day and didn`t read the label, I did, and almost threw it away. After it had been made into balls and cooked in a wonderfull Tomato sauce It tasted as I thought I would!!!! and it is still repeating.

[quote]It's time to make the sausage rolls again. Is there a French equivalent to sausage meat and, if so, what is it called and who sells it please? Graham[/quote]

I believe the correct term is "chair a saucisse" (f) - you can find it it any butcher's or on the supermarket shelves.

Hagar

Hi

From time to time I make a fair imitation of English sausage. Of course, it's not the same since it contains meat rather than eyelids and other nasty bits.

Buy the plain chair a saucisse, mix in :

some milk

some breadcrumbs (dried out baguette through cheese grater)

dried sage

other stuff to taste (pepper, onions, etc)

Cook in the oven as a joint, meatballs or sausage rolls

Peter

We bought a hachoir and do our own. One of the things we do is get beef skirt, 1.70€ from Intermarche and mince it with carrot, corgette and cabbage. About 3€ worth of meat does our dog for about a week. Raw, she will kill for it! And we know what she is eating???

But it is so easy to use to make sausages, it comes with it's own device for that. We have yet to try it. Mincing meat for burgers or anything like sausage rolls, then you can decide what you are eating, can't you? As a matter of interest Richard, why do you put breadcrumbs in a sausage? I have always wondered about this?

John.