Leeks

Patf

Today Champion had a special offer of a huge bag of leeks - about a dozen of them - for 1,99 euro. What do people do with so many leeks? Maybe a huge pot of leek and potato soup, but you would need a big family to eat that. I buy them one at a time to make a vegetable soup. Any ideas? Pat.

Once they are trimmed and cleaned, I use the top 'half' for soup and I cook the bottom bit and either eat as normal as a vegetable or let go cold and serve with vinegrette.  We seem to prefer the latter.

Can soon get through a dozen that way.  Don't have to eat the cold ones the same day.  Can last for ages in the fridge.  Well.  Few days at least.

The soup lasts for a few days too.

A question I always wanted to ask, I brought 100 for 4euros as St Hilaire market in August, manages to plant 130 of the 100 and gave away the other 30.  were OK in September but in two weeks time we will have to face them and live on leeks and leek soup for three weeks.

At least the unuse will help in the compost bin

Ian

I presume you are just over for 3 weeks otherwise you would not be overdosing on them. Our leeks (200+) are split between the voles (they get 20 - 25%), we and the chickens get the rest. Have them tonight with our own toms, basil and courgettes from the freezer and shallots and garlic from the store.

We also have perpetual spinach and cabbage. The most cost effective is spinach as this costs the most on the market and is the easiest to grow for us. Enjoy your leeks. I like the fact that so much is seasonal in our bit of rural France, it tastes so much better than the stuff flown half way round the world.

Hi

Try leek and ham in cheese sauce, (much nicer if you can get cheddar for the sauce)

Wash and slice the leeks, and part cook. Tip into a gratin dish with sliced ham, (or use lardons) and pour some cheese sauce over the top. Bake in oven for about 30 mins. Gorgeous with lashings of mashed potato.

Karen