Removals cost?

I'm with you, Sweets.  We've only moved house 3 times but the one time we did it ourselves was to our second house and we only had a small Luton-full of furniture.  We moved from the Medway Towns to the Weald of Kent (about 35 minutes by car).  I have never been so kn*ck*red in my entire life.  So when we moved to France there was no way we were going to move ourselves and as you say, considering how much money a move abroad seems to swallow, it seems like great value for money, even in hindsight.

We have the luxury of being able to take a month or so's break between trips thank god, there is no way on earth I would be considering one trip straight after another.

Thanks for the advice and comments, even if they have not been what I wanted to hear or I am not going to act on them, they have given me food for thought and are most welcome. 

Thanks

Ian

Michelin say 6 hrs for shortest route 600k, about €60 fuel, and €40 tolls assuming normal speed limits

However if you select options: avoid tolls for the economic route, I was pleasantly surprised to see mileage still 600k and costs go down to €54 for fuel and €0 for tolls!, unfortunately the time goes up over 8hrs and takes you via N154 Rouen Chartres N10Tours, though I do see this as a more realistic time for a truck and speeds on this route could be matched by a truck?

Two journeys for the price of one! and maybe this time of year no grockel traffic,
anybody familiar with this route?

Hi John.

I tried a bit of non Autoroute on the way back last time and we drove, and drove, and drove some more.  We moved about 1/2 an inch on the map in a hour where as we would have covered a good 1+1/2 inches.  The €40 toll charges go up a hell of a lot once you are in a van as far as I could see.

Any one have any definitive answers regarding speed limit for Lutons on Autoroutes?  I have searched through the internet and keep finding conflicting info.

A few months ago, I was £1400 to remove all my furniture (160 items in all). The vehicle used was one of the large Luton vans (cant remember how many cubic metres). The move was from south of Aberdeen to just south of Tours and the company was from Kent, found via Shipley.

• 1 month later...
Well the first load has gone.

Hired a big Luton from a local company left on Saturday at 14:30 and arrived back at 01:30 Monday night.  I am really tired and it wasn't the best experience of my life but not a big problem doing it.  4 hours to Portsmouth.  6.5 hours from Le Havre to Aubeterre and similar back.  The van was very loaded (probably over loaded truth be told) on the way down and empty on the way back except from about 50 litres of wine for friends and family.

Costs were:

Van hire £280

Ferry crossing £220

Fuel £300

Toll roads £150-180

Total cost per trip in a Transit Luton

£1000 ish

Not sure on some of the exact totals as I can't work the on line banking and Mrs C isn't here but they are fairly accurate.  One more journey of essential things needed now but that will be in a smaller van.

A huge thanks to John and Val too, it was great meeting you, really nice to have such nice neighbours.  We are both looking forward to many a visit in the years to come.