Condensed Milk

Mayennaise

Hi,

Yes, it's called lait concentré sucré, and it's in tins from Nestlé in our area. There is also the equivalent of British evaporated milk, called lait concentré. "Gloria" os the product we buy, in mini tetrabriks. It's liked by the dutch who call it "coffee milk", and I use it in a recipe for "Cajun Meatloaf", that is truly decadent.

I make caramel for bannoffee pies with the cans.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I used to do that, too, TU, but have become very wary since I allowed the saucepan to dry out once before the 3-hour boiling time was up, and had to clean stalactites of caramel from the ceiling of our (rented) flat!

I have discovered "confiture de lait" is the French equivalent of the South American "dulce de leche"; in other words it's the ready-boiled and slightly thinned caramel, just the right texture for putting straight on banoffee pie.  Bonne Maman make it, so it's usually near the jams as far as I remember, and the lid has a caramel-and-white check painted on it, rather than a red/white or other combination.

Angela

[quote]Lait Concentrée. Comes in sans sucre and sucré versions in cans, in natty little pyramids for kids...available everywhere. The Sucrée version is very sweet![/quote]

Actually Lait Concentré is the equivalent of 'Carnation Milk' and the little pyramides are Lait Condensé.

A delight on a piece of fresh bread or warm brioche and a cup of hot chocolate. Good old fashion '4 heures'.

To you all Brits '4 heures' is when school finishes at the end of the day and you go home. Lunch was a long time ago and diner is a long way away. Just that little sustenance for the homework session.

[quote]Is it availble here and if so what is it called please. Mr M is yearning for some on his 'pain anglaise'(YUK!!!). Returning to his boyhood me thinks!! - well he does come from Yorkshire!!![/quote]

Look out for Nestlé tins of 'lait condensé' or packs of 6 little individual portions. Comes in several flavours but the 'goût nature' is the best.