Stilton cheese

Lori

Perhaps it has been covered before, but can anyone advise if a good strong stilton can be found in France? online or otherwise. I'm American so don't have family/friends bringing stuff from England An English neighbor served a huge round of this cheese at a Xmas party and I am still dying to have some more.

Any suggestions?

The best stilton I have seen in the UK or France is at the cheese stall in Le Touquet market.  His carrier bags say that he has the fromagerie in Place Dalton Boulogne  a few doors down from the pecheurs d'Etaples co-op fish shop(That is the square where the market is held)

I am going by the quality of the marbling which is usually a good indication, I have to say I am too busy trying all his other wonderful cheeses to get round to buying it.  Try Vieux Bruges!

Thanks. Had no idea it was consider a Xmas serving..

Bruce - I don't really know where you are, probably far from me in the Vaucluse. You think I can find the V. Bruges in a shop round here?

Thanks.

There is something called the Epicerie Anglaise on the web and they tend to get artisanal products. I'm pretty sure a friend got some from them a couple of years ago. I wouldn't order anything like that during summer, but from September onwards should be OK.

[quote]Perhaps it has been covered before, but can anyone advise if a good strong stilton can be found in France? online or otherwise. I'm American so don't have family/friends bringing stuff from England ...[/quote]

Have you tried the French substitutes for Stilton?

Roquefort

St Agur

Bleu d'Auvergne

Fourme d'Ambert

Bleu de Bresse

Try to get them from a 'crèmier/fromager' shop or from the market stall. It is somewhat better than the prepack stuff from the supermarket.

They are available year round.

[quote]Am I missing something in this thread, or isn't Vieux Bruges a fairly expensive Belgian beer?[/quote]

You need the Vieux Brugges to cool down any serious "blow-the-top-of-your-mouth-off!!" cheeses tasting session!!

for that matter any good Bordeaux wine or even dark ruby port! and but not everyone will agree, I once had some NON Eurofizz PROPER lager from Germany with a baguette stuffed full of Bleu de Bresse and..... Oh! Divine!!

OOH!! Mouth watering and I am at work!!! Long day ahead NO GOOD!! Stop thinking about it.............

Stilton cheese has a kind of AOC applied to it which means that it can only be produced in Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire. It is a Christmas treat for some, but is made all year round and the cheesemakers would be upset at the suggestion you can't get it at any other time.

For some of us it's our local cheese. I know that there are several makers near where I live in the UK and will check out if there's a possibility of mail order, or a list of French retailers when I go home in a week or so.

They also make a plain white one without the veins which I love.

There used to be a pub in Stilton itself which did the best ploughman's lunch ever. Perhaps it still does. No prizes gor guessing the main ingredient.

Hoddy

Stilton cheese has a kind of AOC applied to it which means that it can only be produced in Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire.

That's odd, because Stilton is in Cambridgeshire (right on the A1). But they didn't seem to make or promote the cheese there. Lori - there's Stilton and there's Stilton. Standard supermarket stuff (bought in the UK) can be a bit disappointing. Try and get hold of a 'farmhouse', extra mature or some other up-market variety - Sainsbury's used to do it but only round Xmas. I'm sure that in the run-up to Christmas  you will be able to get Stilton mail-order over the internet.

Jo

Thanks Jo53 - I will keep an eye out.

Hoddy - any chance you live anywhere near Provence - I would pay you to bring back some good Stilton for me to pick up (whatever time of year)?? I did find the Epicerie Anglais online and can order it from them, but I don't want to until the weather gets cooler - shipping and all that.

Yes, it is odd that Stilton has never been produced in Stilton. I did a quick search on google which came up with this which confirms what I say.

http://www.1stopshops4.net/cheese/details/185.html

I agree about the quality of some the supermarket stuff though - which is why I suggested I'd check out some of the local creameries when I get home. I can think of three within easy driving distance without really trying and I'm sure there are more of what the French would call artisan producers.

Hoddy

• 2 weeks later...
Lori

Well, I’m back in the UK and I’m sorry to say that I’ve been unable to find a Stilton cheesemaker who will do mail order to France.

Cropwell Bishop Creamery

http://www.cropwellbishopstilton.com

does an online ordering service for next day delivery in the UK, so if you knew someone who was flying out on the following day you might be able to get some that way.

I had a similar response from Long Clawson Dairy.

I’m afraid I live nowhere near Provence or I’d be happy to get some for you.

Maybe someone else can help.

Hoddy

• 3 weeks later...