Sanglier

Jenny Rennes

Dear Jenny,

Your post made me interested in Wild Boar, it is indeed delicious. I don't have any personal recipes but I did a search on goole and found this website: http://www.britishwildboar.org.uk/Recipe Is quite good, they have some nice roast Boar recipes.

If you get any good tips let me know.

Emma

Something to think about when you cook sanglier is to cook it well. It carries a rather nasty little bug and unless it is cooked well it can cause all sorts of problems. Sorry I can't remember the details, but PLEASE be carefull. A check on Google may give the answer?

I love sanglier, very tasty when done in a stew with a red wine sauce with loads of garlic and taties!!

Bon apitite,

John.

Funnily enough we had civet de sanglier for dinner last Sunday.  I'm trying to empty the freezer to defrost it and found a pack in there from last winter.  I can't give a detailed recipe as I tend just to chuck things in til it tastes right, however, this is roughly what I did:

Put diced sanglier in a large bowl with a roughly chopped onion, some thyme, salt, pepper and enough bordeaux or cotes du rhone to cover.  Leave for a minimum of 3 hours (I would have done it the night before had I remembered).

Then heat casserole dish on hob, with a little olive oil in and add a finely chopped onion and a couple of cloves of garlic.  Drain and dry meat, toss in seasoned floor, seal in casserole dish, then add the wine and a similar amount of stock and some more thyme.  Put in oven at 175 degrees (gas 4 I think) and leave for about 2 hours.  Then add some sliced (fairly chunky) carrots and return to oven for another hour and a half.  Add some quartered field mushrooms and some trompettes de la mort or any other mushrooms you can find at the moment and return to the oven for a further 30 minutes or so.  By now most of the onion will have dissolved and the liquid should have thickened and reduced nicely.  If it tastes a bit too rich add a squeeze of lemon.  The sauce should be pretty dark red (almost black) looking.

It was melt in the mouth and absolutely delicious and after a good 4 hours in the oven should have killed off any bugs than jonzjob was talking about.  Anyway, we're still here!!!

Mmmmm juniper berries; I should have thought of that with the sanglier!   Not being lovers of turkey, and only being two of us, we tend to have partridge, stuffed with ham, mushrooms and crushed juniper berries for Christmas lunch..... now I've got the taste buds going I might have to have a practise run

Coco,

Any chance I can come to yours for Christmas ?  Partridge.........MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Seriously, (hope Miki isn't reading this) ... is partridge available in France (we are in Morbihan 56) ?

We usually have guinea fowl (in UK) for krissy dinner cos like you it's usually just the two of us but partridge has to be THE best.

Alfa

"....Seriously, (hope Miki isn't reading this) ... is partridge available in France (we are in Morbihan 56) ?"

What is your problem Alfa ? If you have something to say as pathetic as that, why not PM me and we can have a little chat about it or is it simply, as is probable, the drink addling the thought process?

Hi Mark

All comers welcome, as long as you bring a bottle or two.  We usually start with a bottle of champagne about 10.30 to 11am and take it from there.....

The first year we spent Christmas in France I brought my partridges with me.  The second year I plucked up (sorry about the pun!) courage to ask the lady on the poultry stall on St Lo market if they did partridge, as I'd seen guinea fowl and pidgeon on her stall and she said yes, she took orders for Christmas.

Since then, I've discovered a farm, less than 3km from us where they raise all forms of game birds, so no problem at all now!!!

My mum lives here now too so this year I've got to get a capon for them (they must have their "sliced" meat or it wouldn't be Christmas ) but we're still having our plump little partridges for Christmas Day (with a bottle or two of decent burgundy) and cold pheasant with jacket potatoes and pickles for Boxing Day, with another bottle or two of burgundy and with the Aged P's here you can probably double that - can't wait!!

"I have a question how many of you go out and shoot them then prepare them for your table?"

Probably a similar number to those wot go and kill their own cattle, pigs, lambs, chickens, etc.? Never done it myself personally, but I do like the meat though...

omnivour anyvour John 

Coco, if it weren't for the fact that I'm already promised(!), we'd invite ourselves round to your place too.   We ALWAYS have partridge on Christmas Day and envy you like mad your little farm down the road.  It's not practical if you're feeding a crowd of 8+ but for smaller numbers they are perfect.  Also like the idea of cold pheasant on the 26th, or anyday come to that! 

I'm sure you're all fed up with hearing about my neuroses but when I think of sanglier I remember a night I spent rigid with fear listening to something scratching around outside the house.  Absolutely convinced, of course, that it was someone preparing to break in and murder me in my bed, or worse, it was with a huge relief that I finally heard it snort.  Footprints on the grass next morning suggested it was a large one.  Yet another good reason for keeping a gun?

M