Beaujolais Nouveau - what to eat with

Diana

Beaujolais is a fairly light wine and the "nouveau" doesn't have a particularly good reputation. It's a good bit of fun though. If you've not bought the wine yet then it might be worth getting the Beaujolais Villages Nouveau intead. It has a little more fruit flavour (raspberries etc.) and is often slightly better in my opinion.

I would suggest something fairly plain and simple for food that doesn't overpower the wine - lamb would be good. Nothing too fancy, avoid sauces if possible, just plain lamb cutlets, maybe with some tarragon, and fresh vegetables.

Thought this question would bring out the wine snobs. OK, it's never going to be regarded as a fine wine, but is often an interesting, refreshing and satisfying drink. The attraction is, of course, that you never know quite what it's going to be like. Some of it in 2003 was actually pretty good, I didn't think 2004's was up to that much, but had some very drinkable 2005 yesterday evening. Though (sacrilege) I did have to go to London to taste it.

As to what to eat with it, I don't think it really matters, it will go with most things, even fish, though would be overwhelmed by anything very strongly flavoured. I think standard French everyday fare is probably the best sort of food. 

Wine snobs?  Are you perhaps talking about yourself Will?  Everyone has different tastes but the general opinion - including the French - is that Beaujolais nouveau is rubbish.

Just let's hope that Diana didn't serve the same stuff which caused the riot last night.

We went to Saint Malo last night with a few friends to eat (we are closed now for 3 to 4 months ....at last!) and as is common with many towns in France, we had our fingers crossed that a few bars would be offering BN. We were not disappointed but only a few bars were still open after we ate but we managed to grab a bottle of BN to quaff in three of them.

No BN is ever going to be a great wine for goodness sake,(still a lot better than the vin de table offered with the infamous 9 euros lunch menus ) it is a bit of fun and tradition and whenever we have gone to the first days "sup" there has, more or less, always been charcuterie, bread and some cheese for anyone to nibble on.

A pretty good night was had by all and the last drink of the night were large Irish coffees all round and sipped through a straw, the price of those........... almost as dear as the meals earlier !!