baked taties

Wendy

The method I use is from one of my cookbooks, no author as there in France.

Par boil for 10mns put them in an oven dish (i use the one i have for cooking chicken) put a little oil, can be goose fat, sunflower oil or whatever type is your favourite, season and shake them about a bit this will give the edges a bashing which in turn when cooked will crisp them up. Take them out the oven every so often and shake again until ready and are the colour you want, light or dark coloured. Usually ready when you can slide a sharp knife in and the tip is warm, be careful the knife tip may be hot. Not as many calories as deep fried and taste evey bit as good.[Y]  

Pretty similar here... the only differences are that after pre-boiling I pour them into a colander and give them a good shake up, this bashing gives lots of rough edges and creates what later become the crispy bits.

Just found goose fat in the supermarket - which is supposed to be best for roast potatoes, but prior to that I just used sunflower oil.

I also pre-heat the oil before dropping the par-boiled potatoes in and season well with fine rock salt.

Oh how I wish I wasn't on Atkins at the moment!