What to do with corks?

Dotty0

Not sure if this is the correct place to put this post, but I have been collecting bottle corks since we moved here last summer.  We now have a large bag full, not sure where they all came from of course, but wanted to know if anyone had any ideas what they could be reused for.  I had a go at gluing them together to make table mats, but after I managed to glue myself to everything but the intended object, I gave up.

Any ideas most welcome.

Dotty

I've got loads of them.

I love cork and I can't bear to throw them away. I always thought a good idea would pop in to my head one day but it never did.

I know someone who made a pin board out of them. That was years ago, it looked really good but I don't know whether it'd be trendy now.

My grandchildren make some very impressive boats from ours. They fasten them together with cocktail sticks and the designs get a bit more ambitious each year. It does rather depend on you having some where to sail them though.

Hoddy

True, John, you could, but you have to make a hole in each individual one........ my boredom threshold is exceeded after about 3!

Same with the cork boards, there are only so many corks you can cut in half.

Paint them yellow and stick eyes and ears and a fluffy tail on (at opposite ends) and they can be Easter bunnies?

Impress your French friends by sticking them together with cocktail sticks and creating a realistic working model of the London Eye?

Unbelievable.

There's a whole world of people out there making things out of corks. The best idea I saw was making 'Log Hut' bird houses, but that was on yet another site. Unfortunately for Dotty O most of the ideas involve glue.

http://www.stratsplace.com/how_corks.html

Or, you could simply sell them!

http://crafts.listings.ebay.com/General-Art-Craft-Supplies_Wine-Corks_W0QQsacatZ71177QQsocmdZListingItemList

[quote user="SaligoBay"]

True, John, you could, but you have to make a hole in each individual one........ my boredom threshold is exceeded after about 3!

[/quote]

Sorry but how do you get them out of the bottle without making a hole ?  

Its all a bit too Blue Peter for me but I had visions of a darning needle passing through the corkscrew hole.

Cheers (hic)

[quote user="Tresco"]

Unbelievable.

There's a whole world of people out there making things out of corks. The best idea I saw was making 'Log Hut' bird houses, but that was on yet another site. Unfortunately for Dotty O most of the ideas involve glue.

http://www.stratsplace.com/how_corks.html

Or, you could simply sell them!

http://crafts.listings.ebay.com/General-Art-Craft-Supplies_Wine-Corks_W0QQsacatZ71177QQsocmdZListingItemList

[/quote]

Blimmin 'eck, I thought I was sad just collecting them, let alone selling 'em.  Can't believe that so many people do.

I am very impressed by all your suggestions, still as Tresco says some do involve glue.  Don't think I could drive the car to the Hospital with corks stuck to my fingers.

Keep them coming.

Dotty

Make a raft and escape to the English speaking world... (OK bad humor)

they are great for insulation... but you need more than a bag full.

Buy pins and pin them together... Neo Art... I am grasping at straws....

Sell them on Ebay... people buy all kind of wierd things..

Throw them away?

I stayed in a B&B in Flanders recently, and found corks used as a decorative feature in the bedroom. About 20 of them were displayed in a blue ceramic dish on the widnowsil, and each cork had a slender blue satin bow tied round its "waist".  Looked quite pretty.

Don't suppose anyone would steal it either...

Angela

[quote user="Dotty0"]

Not sure if this is the correct place to put this post, but I have been collecting bottle corks since we moved here last summer.  We now have a large bag full, not sure where they all came from of course, but wanted to know if anyone had any ideas what they could be reused for.  I had a go at gluing them together to make table mats, but after I managed to glue myself to everything but the intended object, I gave up.

Any ideas most welcome.

Dotty

[/quote]

As kids we were made to thread them with beads and buttons... Imaginative ways for designs knew no bounds... then Mother made screen curtain type hangings with all of these long strings of corks... Kept us quiet for a couple of hours during the hot summers afternoons when kicking a football was far too much like hard work....  

and Father collected all the crown bottle tops from his beers and our fizzy drinks, inside of top facing upward, hammered a nail through the middle on to a piece of wood which made a boot scraper/door mat...

I don't know who the kids are now but they are still at it, whilst my brothers and sister play at being mature adults!... Though our own children have been bitten by the bug and on hols are often found with them busily at their little industry...

My brother at the tender age of 8 studied the soundproofing qualities of the material. He'd made himself a box, small enough to fit over his head with a cutout for the face, a bit like kids would do with a cardbox for a makebelieve TV. He lined the said box with cork. Why over his head you may ask?... Our younger brother had just arrived in the family and the loud shrieks and bawling noises from such a little thing was intolerable for us kids....