How to open a bocal

Cassis

Anyone know how to open stubborn bocaux/kilner type jars with the metal clips and rubber rings?  We've got a dozen big jars we sealed last autumn and can't get into them.  Don't really want to boil them open as they've already been cooked once in the storage process!  Is there a knack?  I've tried prising the lids every which way ...

[:@]

Cheers, Christine.  We'll have a look.  So the principle is to pull the rubber tongue - maybe I'll have a go with my pliers.  By the way, the implement you linked to appears to be some sort of machine for horse injections.

[quote user="Cassis"]It worked - long-nosed pliers, grip rubber bit and twist.  Phhht! Open!

Thank you.
[/quote]

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/lavande/Happy.gif[/IMG]

[quote user="Dog"]There is a tool for undoing oil filters on cars etc.

It is a handle with a notched rubber strap/belt - it also undoes pesky bocals.[/quote]

Know what you mean, Dog.  Good for the screw-top type but not the metal clip type.  Must dash - Jude'll be back soon and Im working in the potager (theoretically).

[quote user="Cassis"][quote user="Dog"]There is a tool for undoing oil filters on cars etc. It is a handle with a notched rubber strap/belt - it also undoes pesky bocals.[/quote]

Know what you mean, Dog.  Good for the screw-top type but not the metal clip type.  Must dash - Jude'll be back soon and Im working in the potager (theoretically).
[/quote]

It's called a 'Boa Constrictor' and the smaller version is a 'Baby Boa'. We got the big-un. Good for all sorts of stuborn jarz!! You see them in some supermarkets..

John.