Alcohol and the french

kiwigirl

Bonjour!

I'm going on an exchange to Lorraine, France next year and I'm wondering how big drinking alcohol is? I'm turning 18 , but my parents (who are rather conservative/old fashioned/over protective) doesn't want me to drink there.

is drinking there such a big deal that my host family will be offended if i decline alcohol? i will probably ending up drinking some anyway (little do my parents know, but i've drank before ) but im just wondering how much drinking is a part of french culture..

merci

"......... is drinking there such a big deal that my host family will be offended if i decline alcohol? i will probably ending up drinking some anyway (little do my parents know, but i've drank before ) but im just wondering how much drinking is a part of french culture.".

Kiwi girl

I don't think your Fr. family will expect you to drink alcohol and I am sure they won't be offended if you decline.

Try a little if offered but remember "all things in moderation"[:)]

[quote user="Blanche Neige"]

"......... is drinking there such a big deal that my host family will be offended if i decline alcohol? i will probably ending up drinking some anyway (little do my parents know, but i've drank before ) but im just wondering how much drinking is a part of french culture.".

Kiwi girl

I don't think your Fr. family will expect you to drink alcohol and I am sure they won't be offended if you decline.

Try a little if offered but remember "all things in moderation"[:)]

[/quote]

That's a hoot Blanche Neige!!!!!!!!!!

moderation and 18 year old.................................sorry but they just don't go together[:)]

Benjamin

[quote user="Dick Smith"].........I had a colleague once ask me, in all seriousness, if I thought he had a serious drink problem. It seems he was regularly drinking two glasses of wine each evening. ... [/quote]

Oh dear.... that must make me one too.... [:$]   with my daily 1/2 glass of white wine every evening with my meal... and nothing else but water or tea during the day ....

Mind you I do catch up on Sundays and finish the bottle! [:D]

The only time these matters cross my mind is when I wheel the rubbish out and ask myself "Did we really get through all those wine boxes this week between the two of us?"

A lot of French women drink hardly at all so I don't think a TT Kiwi girl will fase the locals in the same way it would in Britain where boozing is expected - and Ozzies and Kiwis are renowned for it (at least in London). 

Are you really an 18 yo Kiwi who doesn't drink? [blink]

[quote user="kiwigirl"]... is drinking there such a big deal that my host family will be offended if i decline alcohol? i will probably ending up drinking some anyway (little do my parents know, but i've drank before ) but im just wondering how much drinking is a part of french culture..[/quote]

It's possible - or even likely - you'll be offered different drinks before, during, and after the meal with your host family. You really don't have to accept all of them, or indeed any. You can have water or juice during a meal and no one will bat an eye-lid.

Gill gives good advice about moderation.

Some of these drinks are pretty powerful. I once found myself in a situation where I had to make an excuse and stagger back to my own house (fortunately just next door) to give myself some 'deep breathing with head between the knees' recovery time. I had though I was being polite, sampling all these ancient bottles that were being brought out just for us, but I didn't need to be that polite.[:$]

What you do when out with friends is something else again![:)]

Whilst taking an aperitif and drinking wine with a meal is completely normal in France, their consumption (in my experience) is relatively modest by British drinking standards.

My advice: stick to soft drinks or maybe a glass of wine as an apero, wine again with plenty of water in between & during the meal and decline a digestif (if offered).  The old adage - don't mix wine and spirits if you want to stay compus mentis.

Whatever you do, don't get in to the heavy apero lark. I remember (at the age of 14) being offered pastis and taking it neat: the meal was a blur.

Oh and by the way, nobody will be offended if you decline altogether. However if you do drink, just take as much as will leave you in control: no more, no less.  Err on the side of caution (God, I really do sound like an old ****)

I'm sure you'll love it by the way: take full advantage. 

hey guys thanks for all your advice

lol. yea, i've had alcohol before, but never been drunk. which goes to show i am mature about alcohol, but that argument wouldn't go down well with my parents anyhow.

anyways, next year i'll be able 2 do watever i want.. lying's so much easier on the phone.. hehe

thanks again

[quote user="Cassis"]The only time these matters cross my mind is when I wheel the rubbish out and ask myself "Did we really get through all those wine boxes this week between the two of us?"

[/quote]

Cassis, I hope you're not leaving those boxes in with the general rubbish - don't they recycle in your part of Normandie?  We have the rubbish police (our Maire) round here and get a severe slap on the wrists if anything recyclable is left in the wheely bin.

It does mean, however, that we have to go to the recycling bins between 12 and 2 when we feel confident that there won't be any neighbours round to see the carload of bottles, cans and boxes!!!![;-)]   If there is anyone else there at the same time it's probably for the same reason. [:$]

[quote user="kiwigirl"]

lol. yea, i've had alcohol before, but never been drunk. which goes to show i am mature about alcohol, but that argument wouldn't go down well with my parents anyhow.

anyways, next year i'll be able 2 do watever i want.. lying's so much easier on the phone.. hehe

thanks again

[/quote]

Attagirl! Where would us parents be if we couldn't take comfort in the fact that our kids don't tell us the truth any more than we told our parents!

[quote user="kiwigirl"]

thanks again

[/quote]

O.K. I (Like Ian) am going to sound old, and maybe remarkably like your parents![;-)]

I think you said in another posting that you will be with the family for a year attending school and there are other children in the household. I think in this case you will need to be on best behaviour as you will be constantly "on show". I think they may well consider your position to be that of another "child" in the family. [:)]