Saved by a Tagine

Frederick

I have posted before on how the bottle gas cooker we have  can burn from the bottom  everthing in the oven ...as it cooks so hot ... and this seems to be what others have experienced.cooking with butane ..   I have discovered the Supermarket were  selling Tagine's at 9 euros each and  it has  saved the risk of burnt offerings  by cooking the beef in very  well .Hopefully dried out meat has become a thing of the past.... now I am going to have to find out how  to really use it. anybody else use one ....

Yes. We have used ours for several years. We use ours either in the rayburn or with the charcoal burner that came with it. Tenderises even the toughest cut. Ours was supplied by a morroccan gentlemen at work who was glad to bring them back from his homeland for a small commission - spoilt me he did.

So...........  As a sporadic user of an oven that burns everything from the bottom, I am dying to know how this works!  I can imagine what the tagine thing looks like, but please share details of how you achieved your succulent roasts!  Any oil or seasoning inside?  What cooking time, etc?

Angela

Angela ......I just used it like the terracotta "Brick " we have in the UK with the potatoes and carrots put round with an onion or two and sort of pot roasted ....the tagine seals the  moisture in ....didnt dry out which was what I wanted it for they have such a thick base that took the heat  .....I have  just looked at Moroccan recepies for tagines ......one for lamb shanks ...with olives dried fruit that sort of thing  so will have to experiment more   got to try that ! 

Probably not a lot ....except that the tagine base seems to be an inch or so thick and as the oven drys out and  burns everything from the bottom in no  time  even on low   I thought it was worth a try and it worked.....they are not supposed to be used in an oven  but  if it does the job... .great .and we should be able to use it on a gas ring as well...so  . a cheap answer to a problem for me .

Well if it works on the gas ring that's worth knowing.  I hate using the oven when I'm doing a casserole just for the two of us and nothing else in there (it's so expensive on the electricity) but I find that whenever I try and do anything on the gas rings they always burn at the bottom.  I don't know how all these chefs manage to simmer curries etc on the hob for a couple of hours.  I'd have a dried up mess in the bottom of the pan!!![:@]

St Amour - you might be interested in my latest purchase!  A few weeks ago I bought a diffuser from Leclerc (cost about 7 euros) and it has changed my life (culinery-wise anyway).  Been meaning to get one for ages - just wish I'd done it sooner.  It's absolutely brilliant for ANYTHING that need a slow to very slow simmer - never again a burnt bottom! [:-))]

Lynda M

Diffusers are available in just about every supermarket-even our little local one-with the saucepans etc.-also quincailleries

Yes they have been around for years and years but IMHO [:)]one of the most useful "gadgets" I have in France. I sometimes use a diffuser if I want to leave a casserole cooking on the top of woodburning stove.

Tagine with the diffuser on top of the electric hot plate also works very well.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I've tried Hyper Champion and the big Le Clerc at Coutances, as well as Intermarche at Saint Lo.  Am I perhaps looking in too big a supermarket?[;-)]  I can't find anything that looks vaguely like what I am expecting it to look like.  Any idea what it's called in French, so that I can ask?

I always use my casserole or chicken bricks in the oven and if its a casserole just for us two then the slow cooker but how do you stiop things like cakes and even bread burning its driving me nuts!!!!!!  even the garlic bread getsd burnt on the bottom while still being cold on the top???   there has to be a way to use these things or have I just got a naff one??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Know what you mean Coco - mine has been in constant use since I bought it, in fact I'm thinking of getting another one!  It does wonderful basmati rice - I like to cook it with same quantity of water to rice and cook VERY slowly, covered, until all water has gone.  Then leave to steam for about 10 mins - stops rice from sticking to the bottom.  The diffuser is absolutely brilliant for this.

Lynda M