Lamb shanks

ro

Can anyone help me in finding lamb shanks. I need to know what to ask for as I am not being very successful at the moment. As a mediocre (a bit of an exaggeration)  cook I need to put on a bit of a spread and have a  tried and tested recipe but can't find the main ingredient. Help!

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Souris d'agneau, I believe.

[/quote]

....though I think you will be lucky to find them in a supermarket

chiller cabinet. The butchery counter might be able to help, but a

proper butcher is a better bet. It's not a cut often used in French

recipes - it normally stays attached to the gigot. Come to think of it,

I don't think that it was much used in British cookery as a seperate

cut until Mr Oliver did something with it; it's more a US cut, I think.

I asked the butcher on the meat section in Leclerk for this recently by pointing to a gigot and indicating that I wanted the bottom bit.  He went to look in the chiller cabinet, which suggests they do sell them, though I've never seen them I must admit, and when he couldn't find any he simply chopped the bottoms off two gigots for me - lovely man.  He also confirmed that they are indeed called souris d'agneau.

And by the way, I grew up eating casseroled lamb shanks, up't north, long before Mr Oliver, or indeed Mr Rhodes before him, had anything to do wi't price o' fish [:)]

Lynda M

Leeks, carrots, onions, celery, stock, red wine, bay, seasonings.

Brown the meat in a heavy casserole, then sweat the veg, put the meat back in, add liquids (not too much wine, it detracts from the sweetness) and cook very slowly until it is so tender it falls off the bone. Serve with either roast or pureed potatoes, other veg to taste.

I have also had them from Champion, very good quality. Our local butcher (UK) cuts them too large.

[quote user="Innocents Abroad"]

And by the way, I grew up eating casseroled lamb shanks, up't north,

long before Mr Oliver, or indeed Mr Rhodes before him, had anything to

do wi't price o' fish [:)]

Lynda M

[/quote]

Ah, well that's rather the point. They used to a nice quality, cheap

cut - now they cost the earth. I just hope that Gordon Ramsey or

whoever doesn't popularise pigs' cheeks...

We get them either from Intermarché or our local butcher. I do them in our electrifical frying pan with just a drop of olive oil and red wine. High heat to brown and then right down until the liquid is just moving. Walk away for a couple of hours and as Dick said, the meat falls off the bone, yum, yum.

I do duck legs the same way and they are wonderful [:D].

We tried boudin blanc yesterday for the first time. We have always avoided them as they look like trype, hate trype [+o(][+o(]. What a treat we have been missing. It is really good and tasty!

You know the crispy shredded duck which Chinese takeaways offer? Like an overcooked confit, you put it into little pancakes with plum sauce & green stuff? Ours now does crispy lamb as well - delicious! Lamb from near the bone overcooked is a real treat - my mother always used to let me have the shanky bit as a kid, and I have adored it ever since.

She also used to cook roasted breasts of veal - now, can we get those in France, and what are they called?

[quote user="Dick Smith"]You know the crispy shredded duck which Chinese takeaways offer? Like an overcooked confit, you put it into little pancakes with plum sauce & green stuff? Ours now does crispy lamb as well - delicious! [/quote]

Sounds suspiciously like a kebab for the middle classes Dick.  A sheep in lambs clothing. [;-)]

In the UK we used to have crispy lamb at our local chinese restaurant but instead of pancakes it was served with whole iceberg lettuce leaves plus the usual chopped spring onions, chopped cucumber and hoisin sauce.  As we don't have a chinese restaurant or takeaway anywhere near, we now do our own 'crispy duck' with well cooked confit - authentically and artistically shredded with two forks [;-)], the iceberg lettuce idea and the aforementioned accompaniments (we can get hoisin from the English (?) section of Intermarche).  Absolutely delish - and much better for you than the pancakes!

Lynda M

Hi John, actually there are only two E's and they're right at the end of the ingredients list.  The first one is E260, which is acetic acid, i.e. vinegar, but the E122 is a red colourant called Carmoisine  It appears to be used a lot in the UK but is actually banned in some countries.  It can cause hyperactivity in children and an allergic reaction to anyone, but those with asthma are particulalry susceptible.  I actually do have asthma, but have never had any bad reactions to hoi sin sauce - though can often be found doing housework at 3am [blink] !

Seriously though, if you're interested in additives and don't have John's little E book then here's a link that might be useful:

http://nac.allergyforum.com/additives/index.html

p.s. E122 is a common additive in marzipan - [:-))] !!!

Lynda M