English speaking notaire

Cathy

Scrumpyjack wrote: 

Yes I admit that buying or selling a house or any legal transaction in France can be very daunting so why not take someone who is aufait with the language and not expect the person who is conducting the transaction to speak in your mother tongue because you cannot speak theirs.  

NickP writes:

The person who wrote the original post, did what lots of us do, asked for advice. She never expected anyone to speak English, she asked if anybody knew of a Notaire who spoke English. I thought she was sensible, after all why deal with two people when one is perfectly capable. I have spent a large part of my working life abroad and I can tell you the biggest problems were always with translators. So to deal face to face with someone who speaks the same language is a very good idea.

I believe that a Notaire has a duty of care to ensure all parties understand what is being said.

We were having an agreement drawn up relating to inheritance and the Notaire asked if we'd like a translator present. To be on the safe side we said that we would.

After the meeting we took the translator for a coffee and I asked him what his charge was.

"Nothing" he replied. "The Notaire always pays me."

I used to do some interpreting for a Notaire.

He always insisted that English speakers used an interpreter/translator or signed a statement that they did not need one and understood the procedure perfectly.

Some years before he had had problems with people trying to wriggle out of a purchase on the grounds that they hadn't fully understood what they were signing and that it hadn't been explained properly to them .

This was before the 7 day 'cooling off' was introduced for houses.

I used to do some interpreting for a Notaire.

He always insisted that English speakers used an interpreter/translator or signed a statement that they did not need one and understood the procedure perfectly.

Some years before he had had problems with people trying to wriggle out of a purchase on the grounds that they hadn't fully understood what they were signing and that it hadn't been explained properly to them .

This was before the 7 day 'cooling off' was introduced for houses.

I can confirm that I was paid by the Notaire, not by the client.

[quote user="Cathy"]Hi Cathy, I am 21 x 2 and a bit, blond and a mother of 2.[/quote]

Cathy Number 2 or perhaps 1 :

I first read your post as "a bit blond" and thought 'uh?'.  Then re-read it.  I still don't need glasses although I hear that mid 40s is the turning point.

Cathy Number 1 or perhaps 2

You're right, of course - but I was concerned that some readers might think it is normal practise for the notaire to supply a translator out of his fees. It's obviously possible that you were fortunate with yours but equally he may have retrieved the fee via his charges to you.