Apples

opas

I have 3 Apple trees in my garden, the ones that have not been got at by bugs are going to be stored in trays in the garage, but there are lots that have been nibbled by the little bugs (but only a tiny hole) and so I thought I would cut away this little bit and freeze the rest of the apple.

I have done some searches and found apple sauce, and one where freezing the slices after treating with a shop bought acid?  does anyone have a good freexing tip?  I eventually want to use them for pies and crumbles, so do not want a mush.

I successfully froze a load of our Bramley apples in the UK last Autumn. Sliced them, dropped them into boiling water for two minutes, then dumped them into iced water with a few slices of lemon, fished them out after five minutes or so and dried them as best I could on kitchen paper, then laid them out on trays and open froze them. Then the next day we bagged them up and put them back in the freezer - no problem at all and we used them for all sorts of things right thru the winter.

Someone recently gave me a load of apples that needed eating up and I made a few uncooked pies to go straight in the freezer - they seem to have worked really well. Use foil bases, line with pastry, fill with thinly sliced, peeled apples, sugar (if needed), cinnamon, etc. Top with a mixture of soft brown sugar, cinnamon, flour, oats if you want (like a crumble topping). Wrap in cling film and stick in freezer. Can be cooked straight from frozen (minus the climg-film, of course!). If you haven't got time now or space in your freezer for all that, then I would just peel and slice the apples and stick them straight in the freezer before they brown, maybe with a little lemon juice. Shouldn't think you need to find acid in the shops, just lemon should do it.

Jane

I could send you a really nice recipe for Apple Chutney.  Made my first batch ever at the beginning of June and although you are supposed to leave it to "mature", my june visitors got through nearly 2.5 kilos.  Great with cheese (especially Brie), duck, sausage, chicken.

Only downside is it takes a long time to prepare and cook, but it's worth it in the end.

I have now made a second batch and my August visitors demolished a kilo of it in one week.  The rest is now safely stored for next year and I'm not going to offer it to my October visitors.

Jan