"Poule au pot" recipe

Frenchie

Buy a " POULE"   , not a " POULET" . You find them in any supermarket normally.

Cook it like a " Pot au feu" , with the same vegetable.  ( That is to say for 4 people 3 leeks, 500g carrots, 3 turnips, some garlic in which you plant 3 cloves, bay leaves, salt pepper, 2 potatoes/person .)

In a big casserole, place the poule and all the vegetable in cold water,   EXCEPT THE POTATOES, and cook for one hour and a half or two hours, depending on the size of the poule.. The only vegetable that mustn't be placed at first is of course the potatoes, only add them about 20 minutes before the end of cooking time.

At the end of cooking time, keep the "water" (called  bouillon) , you re going to prepare a nice white sauce with it ! Melt  a piece of butter, add 2 spoonful of flour, add some " bouillon" , until you get a rather thick sauce .  NOT ON THE COOKER, add 2 yolks, a bit of lemon juiceand champignon de Paris without their jiuce ( those in tins are ok for that.)

Serve with rice .

Please tell me if you try it, Id like to know if you enjoyed it!

Please excuse my broken English , it is not easy to translate a recipe!

[quote user="Frenchie"]

Buy a " POULE"   , not a " POULET" . You find them in any supermarket normally.

Cook it like a " Pot au feu" , with the same vegetable.  ( That is to say for 4 people 3 leeks, 500g carrots, 3 turnips, some garlic in which you plant 3 cloves, bay leaves, salt pepper, 2 potatoes/person .)

In a big casserole, place the poule and all the vegetable in cold water,   EXCEPT THE POTATOES, and cook for one hour and a half or two hours, depending on the size of the poule.. The only vegetable that mustn't be placed at first is of course the potatoes, only add them about 20 minutes before the end of cooking time.

At the end of cooking time, keep the "water" (called  bouillon) , you re going to prepare a nice white sauce with it ! Melt  a piece of butter, add 2 spoonful of flour, add some " bouillon" , until you get a rather thick sauce .  NOT ON THE COOKER, add 2 yolks, a bit of lemon juiceand champignon de Paris without their jiuce ( those in tins are ok for that.)

Serve with rice .

Please tell me if you try it, Id like to know if you enjoyed it!

Please excuse my broken English , it is not easy to translate a recipe!

[/quote]

A very nice recipe - can you tell me what happened to the recipe posts which gave starters and main courses etc?

Frenchie - what is the difference between a poule and a poulet?  We keep hens and I get these two words mixed up, when buying new stock. Is there a different word for egg layers and those bred for meat?  Also, in UK we had a butcher who sold boilers and roasters. I think the boilers were older hens.What would be the equivalent for these words in french? And what's a capon?

A poule is a female animal which has reached maturity and can produce eggs.

A chapon is a male animal (coq) which has been castrated to be raised to be fattened.

A
poulet is a male or female animal, not mature, about 8-10 weeks old and weighing 1,2 to 1,8 kg.

The difference between poule and poulet seems to be the same as between boilers and roasters.

I knew I'd seen this recipe somewhere!

I have looked through all my favourite cookery sites to find it again: http://www.rivercottage.net/SeasonalRecipes/Default.aspx?artid=525&cid=138

Pot-roast Chicken and Vegetables

This ‘one-pot’ dish and can be adapted for both young roasting birds and old boilers – the difference being in

the length and temperature of cooking. When feeding a lot of

people with minimum effort, cook 2 whole chickens by this

method.

After 10 minutes’ preparation and 11/2 hours’ cooking, put dinner for 10 on the table – meat, vegetables and gravy all

from the same pot. The vegetables can (and should) be varied according to the

seasons. Celery, fennel, parsnips, squashes, kohlrabi etc can all come

and go.

Ingredients:    Serves 4–5

1 chicken, weighing 2–3kg

2 onions

3 large carrots

3 leeks

3 potatoes

2 bay leaves

2–3 sprigs of thyme

a knob of butter

a glass of white wine

a glass of water

1 dessertspoon salt

freshly ground black pepper

Place

the chicken in a large casserole, a chicken brick, or a deep roasting

dish that has a lid.

Slice the onions and cut all the other vegetables

into chunks.

Arrange the vegetables and herbs roughly around the bird.

Rub the butter over the breast of the bird and pour over the wine and

water, then season well with the salt and some pepper.

Place the lid on

the dish and put it in a fairly hot oven (190°C/Gas Mark 5).

Remove the

lid after about 50 minutes and give the vegetables a good stir.

Baste

the chicken with the fat on top of the juices in the dish.

Leave the

lid off and return to the oven for another 25–35 minutes, until the

breast is nicely browned and the juices run clear when the thigh is

pierced with a skewer near the bone.

Note If using an ‘old boiler’, such as a cockerel or a

laying hen, turn the oven down to 140°C/Gas Mark 1 after the first half

an hour, then cook for 11/2–-2 hours without removing the lid.

Turn the

bird over on its back half way through cooking and give the vegetables

a good stir at the same time.

To serve, transfer the chicken to

a large warmed plate and carve it up fairly chunkily.

Spoon vegetables

from the roasting pot and plenty of buttery juices on to each plate

beside the meat.