Anyone seen Soya?

Beemer1150

[quote user="Beemer1150"]

The one thing we're having difficulty sourcing here is soya - the meat for vegetarians!

We're in 17 and will travel if necessary!

Any clues anyone?

[/quote]

No problem getting it at all.  I go to Bio Monde which used to be in the hospital square in Saintes but moved to larger quarters on the St George to Coteaux (spelling) retail park.  It is rather tucked away.  It is at the rear of Lapeyre so if you follow the road past Lapeyre and bear left it is just behind there.  Lots of other veggie goodies as well of course.

Pushkin

There is a fantastic large Biocoop in Cognac, as well.  They have all the soya you could ever want ( I go through bags of the large pieces - for curries & veggie bourguignons etc. - which are great!!)

They also have all the beans, lentils, brown rice (the proper stuff you have to cook for 40 mins!) & barley varieties under the sun & a very good selection of really lovely whole grain breads.

They are at 8 Rue de Poitou, Chateaubernard - if you want directions, PM me & I'll send them to you!! [:D]

We use BJORG Tofu Nature -a very firm tofu compared to UK version. Avaliable from dietetique aisle in most supermarkets such as SuperU, LeClerc and Auchan.

Also we buy from the fridge sections of supermarkets a packet of two burger-like soya steaks called SojaSun "Steaks du Soja!.  These are usually in the area of meats in fridge - alongside pre-packed ham, etc.

Mike

[quote user="ali-cat"]

There is a fantastic large Biocoop in Cognac, as well.  They have all the soya you could ever want ( I go through bags of the large pieces - for curries & veggie bourguignons etc. - which are great!!)

They also have all the beans, lentils, brown rice (the proper stuff you have to cook for 40 mins!) & barley varieties under the sun & a very good selection of really lovely whole grain breads.

They are at 8 Rue de Poitou, Chateaubernard - if you want directions, PM me & I'll send them to you!! [:D]

[/quote]

Ali, thank you for posting.  Just the info I need as OH does not eat meat.  We have friends who live in Chateaubernard so this will be one more excuse for visiting.

Hope you are feeling well at the moment and that the spring (when it comes) will be beneficial.

Love and Best Wishes

I have a soya milk maker so I do it the easy way.

Otherwise, soak soya beans overnight then blend with water and strain (chuck away the solids).  heat the soya milk then stir in a colagulant and tip into a holey box.  Hey presto... lovely firm, but not too firm, tofu.

Want a proper recipe?  I'll PM you one if you like.

PS - can't recommend soya milk makers enough.  They are pretty expensive to buy, but save loads of money in the long run if you drink soya or nut milks.