Gas Oven Burns ANYTHING

Dear Range Cooker users,

I was searching the Internet for prices on a Rosieres RBC127, which I had intended to buy, when the search engine turned up the name in the Living France forum. 

We currently live in Hong Kong but are retiring to France next year and as Living France subscribers though it a good idea to join the forum so that we could get some information from satisfied/dissatisfied customers before making any rash decisions! 

I'd be very grateful for users' experience of this cooker and suggested alternatives for good reliable range cookers. 

Many thanks,

Linda N

(47 nr. Tomberboeuf)

Ian. thanks for the warning about Scholtès. Unfortunately its too late because they are both on order now from the wholesalers. I spent the past two weeks visiting every electroménager I could find and the internet and these were the only models I really liked apart from a DeDetrich which is unfortunately out of our price range for the moment with other expenses to pay for. I didn't actually realise that Scholtès and Ariston are made by Indesit until the Internet site threw it up so it just goes to show that you just don't know where your cooker is made. There shouldn't be anything to rust on the hob as it is all glass with no surrounds and so is the oven.

Hi Val,

Oh..... :-( Well sorry to have been negative. I hope that your experiences are better than ours. I have to admit that it cooks pretty well, and (when Jacquie's cleaned it up all spick and span) looks lovely.

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

A most entertaining thread.

In our maison secondaire (50) we've had one of those crummy cookers (can't remember the name) with the little cupboard RHS to keep the gas bottle in. It's given resaonable sevice for 12 years except the grill is hopeless, the oven is thermostat-less, and I have to bolt bits back on now and then.

But it really is past it, so we're looking out for an economic (secondaire) alternative, but:

a) The Management wants a separate grill, and no known French cooker seems to have them.

b) Rewiring is in prgress and we'll soon have the mandatory 32A coker point, so dual fuel is an option.

c) What rules are there re gas bottles etc ? Can they be at a distance / outdoors / in the chicken shed etc, or do they have to be adjacent to the cooker (length of flex hose).

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Jim (50 and Oxfordshire)

Thanx to everyone that has contributed in our efort to find a solution. We now have one that works:

Place what appears to be the top of the oven (a large black enamel tray) on the lowest shelf. Place a dish of water on this tray, do not let it go dry when using the oven Hey presto - no more burnt offerings.

Thanx again folks!

Bob & Jane (47)

What can one say, the wonders of old fashioned technology.

I think my cooker is crap, but it sounds good in comparison to yours Happy Expat. In fact I don't just think it is, it is. Still I knew what I was paying and I got what I paid for and not too long to put up with it now.

[quote]Thanx to everyone that has contributed in our efort to find a solution. We now have one that works:Place what appears to be the top of the oven (a large black enamel tray) on the lowest shelf. Place a...[/quote]

Wow, really? 

I'd wondered if something like that might work.  Good for roasting meat and the like I expect, does it give good results with pastry too, or would that be a little on the damp side?

I'll have to give it a try, it's got to be better than sticking everything at the very top of the oven, halving the given temperature and cooking for 10% less time.

Thanks Bob and Jane

• 3 years later...

Hello, we have bought a Faure Cuisiniere CGL 600 - nothing in "notice d'utilisation" to explain the temperatures to correspond with the numbers "1 - 6 then Max" on the thermostat. We are used to a gas oven that went up to 9, so finding it difficult to judge at present! Any advice welcome! Also, we understand that the hottest part of French ovens are the bottom, not the top, as in UK - is this correct? We use bottled gas.

Many thanks for any tips!

Chrissie - Ille-et-Vilaine