Wine ideas?

Rose

Ok... I'm thinking about wine now for the party... I would like something bubbly, a red or two and a couple of whites... Basic menu will be mixed Hors D'oeuvres when folks arrive, foie gras, suckling pig, cheese and selection of puddings... Anyone have any ideas about what could be a good choice to serve... and also what I shouldn't serve or buy!

thanks [:)]

p.s. we're not looking to spend a fortune, good value I think sums up our budget [:$]

[quote user="Polremy"]polremy for the bubbly? try leclerc - under a euro a bottle!! but maybe that is a little too economical. add a touch of cassis if you like but i prefer it nu.[/quote]

really under a euro a bottle!  [:-))] is it ok?  sounds too good to be true...

ps... nothing is too economical is it? [Www]

We always buy Roche Mazet they do a Cabernet Sauvignon & Merlot in Red and a Chardonnay & Sauvignon in White. The price varies between 2.20-2.50 and is available in Intermarche, Carrefour, Champion and Leclerc it might be in Auchan but we don't have one in our area. I am a very fussy drinker and find it tastes just as good as others right up to the 10 Euro mark.

My favourite wine is Chateau St Andre Chateauneuf- du-Pape available Carrefour 11.50 Euros but only once a week, ho ho I wish [:D]

Just had an Amy Winehouse moment and thought of you Rose[;-)]

My daughter's having a P.J. party and I had just finished off a lovely Faugères - L'Ancienne Metairie.  I asked the girls to help clear the table after dinner and one of them asked me where the left overs went so I showed her the compost bin. Another asked where the ice-cream wrappers went and so I showed her that bin too.  Then one said "Madame - where shall I put the empty wine bottle?"

"Umm, down there with all the others sweetheart"[:$]

I think I need to visit the bottle bank[:)]

Once again thanks for the ideas folks!  I went on a shopping trip a couple of days ago and bought a few bottles to try at home... Greyman comes back to France tomorrow and we're planning a little tasting session... (difficult for me as I dont drink! ) and when I asked him what he would prefer he suggested a nice Australia Shiraz... mmm...[:-))

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

Just had an Amy Winehouse moment and thought of you Rose[;-)]

My daughter's having a P.J. party and I had just finished off a lovely Faugères - L'Ancienne Metairie.  I asked the girls to help clear the table after dinner and one of them asked me where the left overs went so I showed her the compost bin. Another asked where the ice-cream wrappers went and so I showed her that bin too.  Then one said "Madame - where shall I put the empty wine bottle?"

"Umm, down there with all the others sweetheart"[:$]

I think I need to visit the bottle bank[:)]

[/quote]

I'm sure she just thought what a nice fairy!  ...

but then went home and told her mum that the lovely fairy drinks a lot of wine! [kiss]

well folks... I have news!  we have 9 bottles of wine open at the moment and after considerable tasting we have narrowed down a choice of 2 reds... a Bordeaux and a Corbiere.  We've also found 2 very nice whites a Bergerac and a Monbazillac.  Now we're just looking for a fruity lighter red and a dryer white.  We've also found a very nice Vouvary..

The other thing is... after 10 years I have been able to drink and had no ill effects!  Since I had my son 10 years ago... just a few seconds after a sip of wine I always get a reaction, bright red neck and face, very very hot, very very itchy and my eyes go all dry... very unpleasant... but,  so far it's all good, no reaction and  boy did I enjoy some of those wines!!!! YIPPEE... long may it last!!! [:-))] [:D]

Can't say Greyman is too impressed... we'll have to share the driving now!! [:D]

[quote user="Rose"]

Ok... I'm thinking about wine now for the party... I would like something bubbly, a red or two and a couple of whites... Basic menu will be mixed Hors D'oeuvres when folks arrive, foie gras, suckling pig, cheese and selection of puddings... Anyone have any ideas about what could be a good choice to serve... and also what I shouldn't serve or buy!

thanks [:)]

p.s. we're not looking to spend a fortune, good value I think sums up our budget [:$]

[/quote]

SUCKLING PIG!

I wish I was a friend of yours .... MMMMMMMMMMMMM!!

[quote user="splishsplash"]

SUCKLING PIG!
I wish I was a friend of yours .... MMMMMMMMMMMMM!!

[/quote]

[:D] well... I've heard a few different comments about maybe them not being the same as we're used to in the UK so I'll let you know how it goes! [:D]

BAD NEWS IS.... I sat down to dinner tonight with a small glass of Corbiere.. and flippin heck... 10 seconds after the first sip... bright red, very hot, very itchy, dry stinging eyes!!! [:'(]  Why?! [:(] [blink]  as you can imagine there was a bit of 'false' concern from greyman!! [Www]

[quote user="Rose"]

I sat down to dinner tonight with a small glass of Corbiere.. and flippin heck... 10 seconds after the first sip... bright red, very hot, very itchy, dry stinging eyes!!! [:'(]  Why?! [:(]

[/quote]

Rose - have you ever tried sticking to organic wines ?

Here is a quote from someone who attended one of our big wine dinners last month -

"I haven’t been able to fully enjoy wine over the past few years since I have developed an allergic reaction – hayfever symptoms after about 40 minutes. A friend of mine said that I should try organic wine. I was somewhat sceptical.

However, after trying your wines I suffered absolutely no reaction! Thank you! "

rgds

Hagar

Lots of the vineyards in our area sell wine 'on tap' where you take your own empty bottle. It is marketed as having no additives and I think this is true as a friend reacts the same as you Rose to any bottled wine but has no reaction to the 'on tap'. Perhaps there are some vineyards in your area. Have a great party, it sounds like it will be a lot of fun [:D] 

Poppy - sounds great... we're not far from Bergerac and we've loads of vineyards to choose from.... so I'll give that a go!  I think I saw an organic one advertised recently so maybe I should go there.

As for our wine choice things took a bit of a turn today on that score too...one of our neighbours had kindly sourced our foie gras from his supplier (he says it is the best!) and he came in today with our purchases.  He spotted in the kitchen the huge selection of open bottles!  So, rather than let him leave thinking we're heavy drinkers we explained that we were tasting to find the best wine for our party...

"ah, I sell wine" he tells us... and he proceded to go through the selection and say which were good and which not... he approved of our choice of whites, and one of the reds.... says he can get us our third red and instead of the vouvary he can get us a very nice 'cremant de bordeaux' which he says will be just as nice.  Greyman is going to stick with his Corbiere... and I rather tongue in cheek asked if our neighbour could find us a nice Australian Shiraz... and he just laughed! 

Anyway... it seems our choices were good and he was impressed... so we've done ok there... and better still, he'll get the wime and drop it round to ours at a good price.. so we're all sorted! 

All I need to to is find one of Poppy's vineyards and I'll be fine too! [:D]