Bulgar Wheat

mint

Yes, got to get hold of this stuff to make couscous.

I have bought and tried to use proper couscous but, must be my ineptitude, couscous all soggy and yucky.  Not helped by the fact that I couldn't find any instructions (no quantities such as so much couscous to so much water).

In the UK, I always used bulgar wheat to make couscous but I haven't been able to find this product in France.

Does anyone know a) what bulgar wheat is in French and b) how you get hold of it?

I make my cous-cous in the microwave.  Two parts water to one part cous-cous.

Put water, pinch of salt, dash of oil and a stock cube (if you like) into a large plastic bowl.  Heat in microwave until boiling, then add cous-cous.  Stir and let stand for about 3 minutes.  Stir again with a fork to break up the cous-cous a little, add a knob or two of butter (I also add chopped parsley and garlic, optional).  Set microwave to a very gentle heat, cover the cous-cous bowl with a plate and return to microwave for about 10 minutes.  Remove and stir from time to time until cous-cous is really light and well separated.

Foolproof and simple, and the longer you let it steam gently in the microwave, the lighter and fluffier it becomes [:)]

Here are the instructions from the back of my packet of cous cous:

Cous cous, grain moyen - Recette Traditionnelle (pour deux personnes)

Porter à ébullition l’équivalent d’un verre d’eau salée avec une cuillère à café d’huile. Hors du feu, ajouter un verre de couscous, couvrir et laisser gonfler 5 min. environ. Ajouter une noix de beurre. Réchauffer a feu très doux pendant 1 min. en égrenant avec une fourchette.

There's a handy chart from Biocoop for water to grain ratios and soaking/cooking/standing times.

Well then, you two, tell me what it's called in French?  Bulgar wheat that is?

I think we'll ignore Wooly's suggestion that it's called blé d'onclebulgarie.  That man is the bane of my life, I mean Wooly and not Uncle Bulgaria!

Last summer I had a phase of making salads out of grains etc. I made them with couscous, tabouleh and bulgar wheat and rice. Another one is quinoa, which I haven't tried. I think I bought the grains from Champion. Or maybe a stall in the market.

You cook the grains and add lemon juice, chopped mint and onions and other veg. odds and ends.

ps  yes, I saw it in Champion today, called Bulgur blé dur. P.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Yes, got to get hold of this stuff to make couscous.

I have bought and tried to use proper couscous but, must be my ineptitude, couscous all soggy and yucky.  Not helped by the fact that I couldn't find any instructions (no quantities such as so much couscous to so much water).

In the UK, I always used bulgar wheat to make couscous but I haven't been able to find this product in France.

Does anyone know a) what bulgar wheat is in French and b) how you get hold of it?

[/quote]

I've bought bulgar wheat in France, but can't remember exactly what it's called (I use if for tabouli).  Try looking for blé concassé or boulgour.

As to couscous, it's very simple.  I like to use the whole wheat kind that Champion sells in a box, but you do the same for all.  Add 1 cup (250 ml) of couscous to 14 ounces (450 ml) of boiling chicken stock or water (you can season the stock with cumin, turmeric, saffron and a cinnamon stick if you like).  Add 1 tablespoon  (soup spoon) of olive oil.  Stir once, briefly (I like to use chopsticks for this), cover the pot, and remove from heat.  Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes.  Remove the cinnamon stick, if you used one, fluff the couscous with a fork or chopsticks, and voila!

(Edited to add: Oops, I somehow missed page 2 when I posted this!)

Thanks, everyone for all your replies.

Patf, I'm in Champion this afternoon, so will look out for it.

Odile, I am thrilled it's low GI, didn't realise that.

On the subject of low GI, I have read in several places that basmati has the lowest GI of all the rices.  As it's my favourite rice, I'm pleased about that too.

Happy munching, everybody![:D]