This one is strictly for the gourmets

mint

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Chancer"]

Spreading it on the pain grillé like pâté is a real social faux pas.

[/quote]

At a local lunch we were served slices of f.g. As I was uncertain as to social graces I watched and waited. Roughly a 50/50 split between spreading on toast and cutting/eating with knife and fork. Maybe because we are very rural ?

This was the occasion on which none of the French spoke any English - until late in the evening and very well oiled that is.

John

Now, for something completely unexpected...........I scraped all that yellow fat off the foie gras and, guess what, the fat is fragrant and one small lick establishes it as delicious!

Hmmm..............so, should I save it for roast spuds or what?

I don't suppose you actually serve any of it with the foie gras, do you?

Also, have bought some Monbazillac as that's sort of local, being only in the next Dept.

So.......do you serve this wine in different, smaller glasses than the "main" wine at the table?

Frenchie, PLEASE come to my assistance!

Or indeed, anyone else who knows about these thing?

OK, I'm one country bumpkin but at least I know it![:'(]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Now, for something completely unexpected...........I scraped all that yellow fat off the foie gras and, guess what, the fat is fragrant and one small lick establishes it as delicious!

Hmmm..............so, should I save it for roast spuds or what?

I don't suppose you actually serve any of it with the foie gras, do you?   No, I don't, but if you wanna try it for yourself, it may be good!

Also, have bought some Monbazillac as that's sort of local, being only in the next Dept.  It's alright!!

So.......do you serve this wine in different, smaller glasses than the "main" wine at the table?  No, just the normal wine glasses

Frenchie, PLEASE come to my assistance!

Or indeed, anyone else who knows about these thing?

OK, I'm one country bumpkin but at least I know it![:'(]

[/quote]

Stop worrying, I'm sure it s going to be perfect.

Last night , because of this thread, I wanted foie gras, but had none in the house!!  LOL

[kiss][kiss][kiss]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I scraped all that yellow fat off the foie gras and, guess what, the fat is fragrant and one small lick establishes it as delicious!

Hmmm..............  I don't suppose you actually serve any of it with the foie gras, do you?[/quote]

Well our Xmas FG came with the yellow fat on; not being too keen on fat I asked it was considered rude to leave it on the side of the plate.. The answer was leave it if you don't like it, some people do like it with their FG and they will eat it. It isn't considered bad manners to leave it so I did.

Being a real ignoramus I have not heard of Monbazillac so can't help you there, but am keen to find out when/how you drink it.

Yes, the fat can be eaten with the foie gras or not, as preferred. Monbazillac is drunk from normal glasses, as a Sauternes would be. You can have any left (if there should be any) as a dessert wine. We bought some lovely bottles of it when we were in the area.

It all sounds lovely, Sweet; just relax! [:D]

Ah, merci, mes amies!

Now scraped all the yellow fat off the foie gras:  not a lot but should be plenty.  Will be making bread soon.

Then, I have browned all the pork chops (lovely big ones) in seasoned flour and browned the onions and apples slices with sage.

Tomorrow, will cook the chops in cider.

So, foie gras on HOT toast, smoked salmon on HOT blinis, with dash of horseraddish sauce, croquettes du poisson coated in homemade bread crumbs and crisply fried.  With onion confit and thinly sliced cucumber on the side (just to look pretty and nice with fish)

Then pork chops in cider (maybe cream, not yet decided) with rice lightly tossed in fried onions, garlic, touch of root ginger and leeks, peppers and little (very small amount) of shredded cabbage.

Then fromage; hard and soft cheeses with bread from the boulangerie and also cheese scones (see, got to get the French asking "what on earth?")

Aha, forgot to serve the salad last time, so won't make that mistake again!

Then les mince pies!!! (got to get the French wondering)

Then coffee with  pâtes de fruits and boules praliné (chocolate with noix and amandes)

C'est OK, vous pensez? 

Well, it was great.

The 4 French friends came bearing gifts:  huge bouquet of flowers, a bottle of chilled white wine and a galette de rois.

One question is, should we have served the wine and the galette?

Entrée looked very appetising on pure white plates, foie gras on toast made with my own homemade bread (by hand and not machine), slivers of smoked salmon on warm blinis with a dab of raifort (yes, French for horseradish!)  and 2 croquettes du poisson.  With confit d'ognions on the side (which everybody loved).  Monbazillac which was chilled but not overmuch.

Then the côtes de porc cooked in white wine (opened the cider but it was too sweet as it was doux and not brut), onions and granny smith apples.   Pork chops pre-fried in seasoned flour and then some ground sage. Told OH to get me 2 granny smiths but not to bring me 2 elderly women (yes, I know it should be obvious, but you don't know my OH!)

Served with savoury rice tossed in cooked vegetables including onion, garlic, muchrooms, carrots, peas, haricots verts, leeks and parsely so very colourful and with just a touch of root ginger.

Then cheeses with cheese scones which were of great interest and I was asked how they were made.

Then les mince pies which one of the Frenchmen knew about but which everyone had 2 or 3 of.

Then du café and pâtes de fruits and chocolat pralinés.

Everybody declined the cognac and liqueurs (said they were full of food and were driving!)

They were most intrigued by some of the food but they enjoyed it and I told them I had to ask about the proper way to serve the foie gras and what and how to serve it.  They were greatly amused and I dare say thought I was crackers.

Although, I have hardly ever had foie gras, the taste was sublime!

So, there you go, GG, I hope I have satisfied your curiousity!

Now I hope someone will tell me whether I should have served the wine and the galette de rois they brought? 

Bonsoir sweet,

You have also satisfied my curiosity.

You see, it was a success !

Well done !!

To answer your question, I would have served the galette des rois as it is  convivial and a tradition to share with family and friends in January. But hey!! do not worry  ( I'm starting to know you!! [;-)] ), it is not a faux pas !!

Even if you didn't have that galette des rois with them, no doubt you were the queen of the evening !!

[kiss]

I think I would have put the galette out, too, as it was of the time and a sharing food - but also suspect that everyone would have had sufficient without it, and turned it down. I would not have opened the wine, as all your drinks had been planned for the the meal already.

It all sounds and looks (if you know what I mean!) delicious, and I'm glad for you that it all went so well. [:D]

Merci, Frenchie, I will ring up tomorrow and apologise for not serving the galette des rois!

And this will make you laugh.  OH and I have just had a cup of tea (c'est très anglais [:(]) and we had a piece of the galette des rois and, guess what, the OH had the fèvre and I was just in time to stop him swallowing it!

Then la petite chienne nearly ate it and, again, I was just in time to take it out of her mouth!

C'est rigolo and I have kept the ceramic bean as a "souvenir"!

Tout est bien qui finit bien [:D]

Merci, mon amie, qui a beaucoup de sagesse............. [kiss]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Merci, Frenchie, I will ring up tomorrow and apologise for not serving the galette des rois!  That's just you !! [;-)][:)]

And this will make you laugh.  OH and I have just had a cup of tea (c'est très anglais [:(]) and we had a piece of the galette des rois and, guess what, the OH had the fèvre and I was just in time to stop him swallowing it! I like a cup of tea, I have Yorkshire tea at home, and I love it ! Even my sister has developped a taste for it and when she comes over here on hols sher asks for it !

So Mr Sweet and the dog almost swallowed the fève!!!  YES; picturing it made me laugh... [:D]

When I share a galette des rois, I always have the fève, so my son says it's not funny because there is no suspense !!

In Provence, where I was born, there are TWO things in the galette, the fève ( a real one , sort of bean you know..) , and a " sujet" ( the ceramic thing) . If you got the " sujet" you are the king or Queen a,d you choose your King or Queen , if you have the " fève" , it is your turn to buy a galette !

Then la petite chienne nearly ate it and, again, I was just in time to take it out of her mouth!

C'est rigolo and I have kept the ceramic bean as a "souvenir"!

Tout est bien qui finit bien [:D]

Merci, mon amie, qui a beaucoup de sagesse............. [kiss]  MOI ??  [blink]

[/quote]

[kiss][kiss] 

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Well, it was great.

[/quote]

Fantastic news; well done. You can now relax confident in your success. [quote user="sweet 17"]

Then les mince pies which one of the Frenchmen knew about but which everyone had 2 or 3 of.[/quote]

We gave lunch to some French friends today - including home-made chicken pie with suet crust pastry - and afterwards we served some mince pies with their coffee - UK bought, not home made, but there you go - and the mps prompted lots of discussion re what was in them, the sweetness, the difference between fête food ie France - galette des Rois - and the UK - mince pies. All in all a super time was had by all ... and I ate too much ... again.

Sue, that also sounds delicious. Chicken pie.. Miam miam ( = yum yum )

Mince pies are just good, I'm sure the vast majority of French people would love them.

Which galette des rois do you prefer? the one that 's called " frangipane"

or the ' briochée" ?

Frenchie, wonderful pictures, merci.

I was given the frangipane and yes, I have had the brioche version and I prefer the frangipane.

Mais, le fève et pas le fèvre (c'est entièrement different!).  Serves me right because sometimes I just want to speak or write and I don't check with the dictionary because I am in a hurry to say things and I make mistakes which are enough to "make a cat laugh"! 

Alors, c'est une expression anglaise, Frenchie.  Excuse moi!

Alors là, pas de problèmes !!

Ce sont des petites erreurs minimes et très charmantes!

I know I also make mistakes when I speak or write in English!! Feel free to correct me by the way !

Hey, au fait  , ( blo*dy genders...)  It's la fève [;-)]

[kiss]