Digestifs

In the past, whilst travelling in Spain and Germany, we have come across digestifs called Underberg and Fernet Branca - both of which are dark brown, taste absolutely foul but are superb for calming a very upset tummy.

The secret seems to be that they contain a 'secret' misture of herbs, as well as the alcohol.

We cannot find either of these in French supermarkets, and wondered if anyone knows of a French equivalent?

Amanda

You can find Fernet Branca, but usually in larger supermarkets. Our LeClerc has a few bottles on the shelves, right at the top, covered in dust, as no-one know what they're for.

Generally it's an infusion of bitter herbs and liquorice in alcohol and, if you have food poisoning, I swear that a glass of this will cure you. I've relied on it many a time after a dodgy restaurant meal and it works wonders, we have a couple of bottles here in our house.

Underbergs is German, and I haven't seen it in France at all.

So try Leclerc first, the larger ones, or if you can find an Italian delicatessen nearby they may have it. It's in France, but well hidden!

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a program in which some yanks visited the UK and saw some mcvities digestive in a super market , they thought the must be for the digestion .......I suppose they are . [Www]

[IMG]http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa92/14th_Card/mcvities-digestives-milk.jpg[/IMG]