Help- want recipe for mirabelle plum jam, please!

nectarine

Our mirabelle plum tree is bursting with fruit and I have collected several bags (and there's still loads on the tree) so thought I'd have a go at jam-making. Now I've never made jam before so wonder if anyone has an idiot-proof recipe for plum jam that they could share, please. Does one need pectin and, if so, where do you get it? The cookbooks I have say that pectin is required, is that right?

Remember, I'm a complete novice at this so all advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance for all advice or other recipes to use up the plums.

On the sugar shelves you'll see bags of sugar 'spécial confiture' or 'Confisuc' and the like, look at the pictures on the packets and you'll see when they talk about setting the jam, but I always use the cheapest granulated plain & simple.

I have never used pectin with mirabelles & the jam has been fine. You could always use lemon juice which aids setting.

I do the basic jam: weigh the plums, halve & stone them, cook in a bit of water until tender, then add a bit less than an equal weight of sugar (depends on your taste, and how runny you like your jam) and the stones tied in a bag or in tea infusers. Don't boil until sugar has dissolved, then boil rapidly until set.

Thanks for the recipes. I made eight jars of jam, very nice but, to my taste, too sweet but Mr. Nectarine is chomping his way through them all with grunts of delight!

Our mirabelle tree is BURSTING with fruit. So I'm all jammed out, will do the plums in alcohol but more suggestions please as the tree is so abundant and it's a shame to waste it!

Stone & freeze them in packs of 1lb/500g, for crumbles and things. Don't bother messing around putting them in a sugar syrup, like the old-fashioned books say, just lob them in. Your kitchen is probably sticky enough already from that jam!

• 1 year later...
Hi Polly,

Thanks for your advice. We have a huge plum tree and tons of fruit! We thought it was a flowering cherry tree until it produced the classic small yellow fruit. We also have an apple tree full of fruit, and a beautiful fig tree also full of fruit. Who would guess that we live in the north-east of England by the north sea!

Regards,

Polly Green