Galette du Roi

JeanS

100% mag  on M6 had a very easy to make one on tonights program, you should be able to watch a replay soon here http://www.m6replay.fr/#/emissions/100-mag/21488

It was so simple I think I can remember it.

2 circles of ready made puff pastry, 125 g finely ground almonds, 125g really soft butter, 125 g creme fraiche, 125g icing sugar and 4 eggs,.

The chef put the almonds, butter and sugar in a mixer , then added the creme fraiche and eggs. He then put the mixture in a bag and put it in the fridge to firm up a bit, then he snipped the bag and piped the mixture onto one of the pastry sheets but not close to the edge, brushed the edge of the pastry with egg yolk and drop of milk and placed the other sheet on top. He used a large pan lid to press down to seal the pastry and then trimmed it. 30 mins in the oven.

Thanks for all your help. I found a receipe and have made it. Looks ok but some of the filling leaked out. Unfortunately I don't have a feve so I'm going to use a large bead and a hat from a cracker for the crown. Hope it'll taste as good as it looks.

I know that it is custom and tradition and makes loadsamoney for the Boulangers, the customers were queuing 100m down the road here, but whenever I have tried a galette de roi I have been distinctly unimpressed, as regards rapport qualité/prix  I would not pay more than €1 for one. 

Likewise the buche de Nôel, what an anti-climax that was and they cost between €30 and €80 in the boulangeries [:-))]

Is it tradition, conspicous consumption or blatant profiteering?

Good on you for making your own by the way. [:D]

But would people be queuing 100 metres down the street to pay €30 to €50 for one?

Would the television cameras be out to record the occasion every year?

Would they also be reporting how many huitres, how much foie gras and caviar people were buying and how much it cost this year?

I am afraid I just dont get it [8-)]

I can't see the attraction of two layers of usually very dry hard pastry stuffed with marzipan either. I don't mind the brioche type variety but they can be hit and miss too. The bûche noël is always too sweet and the sugar too gritty for me [+o(

Well my galette was very good - lots of frangipane filling with a hint of cognac. The pastry wasn't too bad either (Jusrol ready made). As other posts - I always made my own Christmas cake and puddings. The family say it wouldn't be Christmas without them. Thanks to all for the suggested recipes.

• 5 weeks later...