First Asparagus of the Season!

Gardian

We weren't expecting to see it for another week or two, but saw one of the ubiquitous 'shacks' this afternoon with Asperges chalked up on a board.

Local stuff (this is the principal growing area in France) and not too pricey at €7 / kilo.

The lady said that yes, it is early, but why knock it?  We're certainly not - a tasty lunch for the next couple of days.[:D]

We saw some on our Saturday market 10 days ago  and were very surprised. However, it was foreign stuff - the label said 'Provence'!  [:D] Didn't notice the price, but very early. Locally they were putting the plastic down in asparagus fields about 3 weeks ago, so I'm hoping that when we return in 2 weeks' time I'll soon be dripping butter from some!   [:)] 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh no!  I am so jealous.   I checked mine today (covered with weeds until now, owing to "asparagus bed secondaire" status), and no little purple shoots to be seen.

I pulled out loads of rampant violets from around the places it should be, in the hope that a bit of sunshine tomorrow might encourage some shoots...

Angela