English Pudding

Mme poivre

Just wondered if anyone has heard of this? 

It was given to me on my last visit by my neighbours,  but I honestly can't understand why its called english pudding!

it consists of melted Carambar and rice crispies with marshmallows!

any Ideas

Oh and it tasted really Lush but a little goes and long way.:-)

Judith

'Pudding' in France meant that absolutely dreadful 'pudding' that you can even buy at the bakers. And everyone I knew thought that it was 'english'. That these kiddie treats are being called an english pudding doesn't surprise me at all.

I know that I introduced chocolate rice crispie cakes to our maternelle and bread making come to think.

I used to try and explain what pudding meant, but I don't think that anyone understood.

French pud, well a few depending on mood. Tarte au citron, tarte tatin and ile flottante, I do like merangues in puds.

The wow one, has to be sticky toffee pudding. Looks heavy and I used to get worried looks. Then when they taste it some friends have been known to end up licking the plate clean. John Tovey recipe, lovely.

A few years since i've heard his name mentioned. Quite agree with you, gorgeous pud.

My favourite French dessert would have to be bilberry tarte (not made with those great big tastleless blueberries). Used to be found easily in Provence a few years ago. Best one ever to be found in Grimaud as i recall.

Incidentally, if anyone knows where i can buy bilberry bushes i would be very grateful. I've never forgotten picking them on walks as a child and i have looked in vain for them in garden centres since.

Ah I had forgotten tartes with delicious myrtilles, miam, should be on my list.

I also like a Tropezienne sometimes. That was a bit of surprise when I first had some. Looked like a cream cake and then the texture was 'bread', which is OK as I do like devon splits. I'll have to try one out on friends here, I used to make a good one in France. In fact I'm please I mentioned that as I reckon I could make one up for a diabetic friend that would taste as it should or even a fruit tarte.

I rather lost my svelte like figure some years ago!

Weird that, I see the word 'boudin' and I think of a black or a white one and know that in english we say 'pudding' for it, but I never considered that boudin literally translated as 'pudding'.

Not a word I would associate with any of the sweet course recipes I make.

In my experience the ones for sale are usually what I would call a blueberry. The bilberries that I used to pick on the moors are more like what the Americans call huckleberries.

If anyone can point me to some genuine plants I'd be very interested - I love them. I wonder if the ones on the moors grew so low because they were grazed by sheep ? I think you would need quite a few of them to get enough to eat because the berries are so tiny.

Hoddy

As Hoddy says, most for sale are indeed blueberries. I bought a couple of very young plants branded 'myrtille' but they turned out to be blueberries.

I remember the bushes being low to the ground too which is probably why, as children, they appealed so much to us. I would love to plant lots of these bushes in an area of the garden which is quite 'scrubby' and not really used.

[quote user="idun"]Weird that, I see the word 'boudin' and I think of a black or a white one and know that in english we say 'pudding' for it, but I never considered that boudin literally translated as 'pudding'.

Not a word I would associate with any of the sweet course recipes I make.[/quote]

My French dictionary says the origin of the word "boudin" is uncertain, but the Oxford English Dictionary rides to the rescue:

Pudding (also colloquially and dialect "pudden") - Old and Modern French "boudin" black pudding from Proto-Gallo-Romance from Latin "botellus", pudding, sausage, small intestine: see "Bowel" .....

I think old-style English puddings were always cooked in some kind of bag or sack: the black/white savoury pudding seems to pre-date the sweet versions. Savoury puddings are middle english (Chaucer and friends), sweet ones from the 16th century onwards. Which makes sense considering how easy it was back then to obtain the necessary intestines, blood, meat, suet, and oatmeal, and how difficult it was to obtain sugar or honey.

• 3 weeks later...
English pudding is always my weakness...I am very fond of eating it....When i first ate it then its taste is not so good.....but my roomie often bring it from market and asks me to share it with him....And now slowly i become habitual of eating it.....We eat it 3 to 4 times in a week....

Chris Hopes.

-------------------

Get villa info here: vakantiehuizen mallorca and villa lloret.

I like bread, I love fresh soft summer fruits, but summer pudding, beurk! I have made them with bread, I even tried with brioche, but no, not for me at all.Now get those fruits with merangue, on a tarte, garnishing a cake, miam miam, or [:)]simply with fresh cream.

[quote user="woolybanana"]There is a significant difference![/quote]

Of course, there is a difference, Wools, but, if you don't mind, we won't talk about your fruitiness just now, OK?

On the subject of puddings, I must say that I can think of many more English puddings than French ones but then I don't have a sweet tooth and I am no expert.