Windfall apples

idun

We have quite a few and they are quite small. Frankly I am too lazy to peel and core them and am thinking about doing what I have heard of in France.

I know that some people slowly cook them and then puree the lot and get a pommes puree. I have recipes that say add sugar and vanilla.

Does anyone do this and cook the whole apple to puree and what do you add, sugar, vanilla, booze...... what?

I have a feeling if I freeze them, that I'll forget them and then they'll end up being chucked with the other odd bits that I forget about in the freezer. I don't have a very organised freezer.

Mint jelly, I've eaten it, but prefer ordinary mint sauce. No idea that there was apple in it. You do mean a mint jelly to go with lamb don't you?

Or easy apple juice perhaps?  No skinning or coreing needed.

Wash your apples, cut away the bad parts, and then cut the rest into quarters.

Put a couple of inches of water into a large pan and add the quartered apples.

Bring to the boil, cover and simmer until they are soft (about 20 minutes).

Smash with a potato-masher, and then put the resulting pulp into a large colander lined with a piece of muslin/cheesecloth or a clean hanky.

Let it drain into a large bowl for about an hour, and then squeeze the pulp to get the rest of the juice out (it'll go cloudy, but that's the best stuff in the apples, so the cloudier the better).

You can then drink it or freeze it until needed.

Cider.Around this area I have seen men with trailers collecting apples.I have been told that a mobile press is available that squeezes the fruit to make cider.I have used 10kg to make 2 gallons of wine.Squeezed by hand though,bit messy,but the end result is supposed to be worth it.

These are the ones we kept instead of giving to the friend with the cider press. There aren't that many, a big baking bowl full. Quite enough for us.

I think I'll be grating to use, rather than juicing, although next time I think I'll give that a try in the future.