Glycerine and Pectin

Laurier

Two questions maybe someone can help me with:

Do you know where I can get glycerine from, to put into royal icing? I bought some "glycerine" from the pharmacy and it said 'don't swallow' on the side so I realised it was not the right stuff to soften the royal icing! I haven't been able to find it in any supermarket and the patisseries don't seem to know what I am talking about.

Also, is pectin available in France or what is used in jam-making? I haven't been able to find it locally at all.

Thanks in advance

Laurier

I got glycerin from the pharmacy BUT YOU MUST STATE it is for consumption purposes. For pectin I use the special jam making sugar you find widely in the supermarkets with the setting agent already incorporated, works every time and even for a few berries in a saucepan too for a sauce

Thanks. I did explain to the pharmacy that it was for putting in icing and she still gave me the wrong one - said it was up to me, which it was! I should have read the stuff more carefully before taking it but threw it away when I got back. I will try another pharmacy. They couldn't understand why I would put it in icing!

We had used the preserving sugar but still found that some of the fruits didn't set - maybe we weren't using enough. Will try again.

I have checked every supermarket in all the towns for pectin, even tried the big one (Auchan) in Poitiers yesterday, by the sugars and by the home-baking, and still haven't located it, even asked the assistant yesterday and have asked in other supermarkets. The one assistant recommended Agar Agar but think that is just a kind of gelatine.

Thanks anyway.

Laurier.

[quote user="Russethouse"]Laurier, You may be better to increase the text size of the text in your posts to make them easier to read (between the word 'Message' and the posting box there is a row of options, 1st option from the left is the text size, this is three)[/quote]

Funny that Rh. I always use 3 and mine comes out like this.[Www]