Sassafrassarassum

idun

As you probably know I ditched my fan oven a couple of years ago for a tabletop halogen oven and have become evangelical, never missing a chance to extol its virtues.

It was only on removing my so called fan oven that I found out why it didnt blast my face with hot cooking fumes on opening the door like others I have had, the fan was actually a ventilator to stop the poorly insulated casing from setting the kitchen units on fire (it was a built in one).

The particuliarity of the halogen oven is the radiant heating element and it being at the top with the fan blowing downwards. From reading your comments about the limitations of your ovens I would say for grilling, roasting and for things that do well in a fan oven it cannot be beaten, I havnt tried it but reckon it would be superb for merangues but as for quiches and things i am not going to bother, I know what the results would be, you talk about soggy bottoms, you aint seen nothing yet!

[quote user="idun"]

I have to say that if there is a fan on an oven, I would always use it for just about all my cooking.

I'm pleased I started this thread as I know what to avoid now.

[/quote]

Yes, I use the fan for everything because I am now used to the noise of a fan and I don't think the bloomin' oven is on properly unless I can hear the fan![:$]

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="idun"]I like mine firm and golden,[/quote]

With you there, chuck.  Around 30 to 40 years old sounds about right.[/quote]

You are fairly obviously feeling a lot better Coops ... going home tomorrow then ?

Sue [:)]

I have a typical french gas oven, Fauré make, and am quite happy with it.

It does tend to burn things on the bottom but I've found ways round that. I use it for baking and roasting, but don't often do pastry.

The only complaint I have is that french ovens only seem to come with one shelf. I bought one of those "adjustable" ones but it's unreliable ie falls down [:'(]

About 3 houses ago we bought an electric oven from Conforama - as far as I can remember I think it was Indesit; a cheap one anyhow. It had only one wire shelf (plus a couple of solid metal ones which I never used!). I asked if I could buy an extra shelf which they ordered for me which only cost about €20.

I wouldn't ever buy a gas oven again (or hob). I'm totally accustomed to electric ones even though before we moved to France I always preferred gas.