Boiling Milk

idun

I have just made a chowder and my recipe states that I have to boil potatoe cubes in milk.

No matter how gently or harshly I do this, the milk always sticks to the bottom of the pan and is brown and horrible. I always tip it into another pan before finishing with the fish etc.

Anyone got any astuces that might/will stop the milk sticking.

This recipe was kindly given to me by a lady from Cape Cod and it is definitely made with milk boiled potatoes. They are cubed about 15ml. And they take about 15 to 20 mins to soften. Depending on the potatoes used, the chowder can be thickened naturally by the potato starch. It is as good a recipe as we had whilst we were there. I tend to make it with salmon and scallops these days, but sometimes with clams.

There isn't a burnt taste, just a delicious one[:D]

But I still have a messy pan to clean though.

[quote user="idun"]

Anyone got any astuces that might/will stop the milk sticking.

[/quote]I find if I rinse out the pan with cold water before adding the water it does not stick so much. I also find it helps to heat the milk using a lower setting under the pan.

The purists might frown but what about softening the spuds in a saucepan of water then finishing off in milk in a glass bowl in the microwave? Have not cooked this particular item but we sometimes use a combination of the oven or hotplate and the microwave to good effect.

Despite trying various tips, milk invariably "catches" on the base of our saucepans unless the heat is kept very low.

If I use a bain marie I would put the potatoes and milk, salt and pepper in a bowl and put it on top of the saucepan with the water in it. I would never make this chowder recipe with other than milk.