Dinner

idun

I have seen Come Dine with me this week and one contestant keeps droning on about 'dinner party food' and I am not quite sure what this is. I doubt that I have ever organised a dinner party, rather made  meals for friends or an association, but 'dinner party'? I don't think so.

I would imagine that a dinner party really should be people dressed to the nines, I think that is the first thing I would expect. But what food would really cross the line where people would believe that they have been to a 'dinner party'.

Any ideas? Expectations? What would you expect at a dinner party? Would you get dressed up for the occasion if asked to one?

[quote user="idun"]  But what food would really cross the line where people would believe that they have been to a 'dinner party'

[/quote]

In the UK it's a meal where you don't sit in the kitchen, or in front of the TV with a plate on your lap[:D]

Is there anything wrong with have a tray in front of the tv. Many french families I know have their settees stood back against the walls and the dining table where a coffee table would be and the tv where a tv normally would be. So they sit at the table and watch tv, some being able to see properly, some not.  They then stay at the table as the table gives a better view of the tv, and from the settees all one can see is the table. To my anglaise eye, all rather 'different' to what I like.

We too Betty, have friends to dinner or go to their homes for dinner. I've always thought a "dinner party" was an occasion where you weren't inviting friends as such, but trying to impress, say work colleagues or acquaintances who were visiting from far away.

I come back to the French distinction between amis and copains.

And Idun, the difference in food cooked is the "trying to impress" element IMHO. With friends, the object is for everyone to have a lovely relaxing evening without the hosts either spending loads of time in the kitchen, or too stressed out from three previous days of being in the kitchen.

Back to the original question, when it's just us, we only have a main course, but it's fun to invite friends and do a more special meal with aperos, starter, main, cheese course and dessert. I wouldn't say it was a 'dinner party' (sounds a bit 70's to me?) but it's more than just slapping out another serving of whatever we were having.

We never eat meals on our laps - how can anyone enjoy food like that?

[quote user="Pommier"] We never eat meals on our laps - how can anyone enjoy food like that?[/quote]

We never have either.  We'd be tipping it onto our clothes or the furniture before you could say "pass the salt".