Green tomato confit with foie gras - yuk, yuk, yuk

chessie

Having a bit of a drinks evening next week and trying out new ideas.

One of the simple nibbles I do is thinly sliced salmon on a slice of brown bread, with some horseradish sauce spread over the salmon and the slice then rolled up, like a swiss-roll which can be wrapped in clingfilm and then sliced into segments.

In local supermarket last week encountered something in a jar labelled' Confit de Tomates Verts' produced locally in Marmande, with the recommendation that it should be served with foie gras or other sliced cold meats.   Ahh I thought - that might be something a bit different to try with the salmon.   

Hoping for something tart, crisp, tangy to cut through the salmon - after all it is supposed to be served with foie gras.

Uggghhhh, yuk, yuk, yuk - absolutely horrible.   IT WAS A JAM - disgusting with the salmon.

Now the French mock the Anglos over our use of cranberry jelly, redcurrant sauce, apple sauce etc all served with meat.

But then they go and produce something that really IS a jam - nothing sharp or tart about it - could be spread on toast it was so sweet.    And yet they dare to mock the Brits.

Flippin' hypocrites.   Anyway - warning;  a green tomato 'confit' is NOT fit to be served with cold meats - try it as a filling in a sponge cake instead!

To say I was disappointed doesn't go half-way.    Ah well, back to the horseradish I suppose.

Anyone got similar 'disaster' funny incidents ?   Or am I the only idiot on here ? !!

Chessie

I would agree that sweet 'confits' go with foie gras, and that they wouldn't do at all for salmon

In fact I can't imagine anything that would go with both

Possibly sharp red berries as I  have had with salmon in Sweden?

I have enjoyed a sort of grapefruit marmalade with a magret

I had a 'canard' mixed platter last week with some foie gras...

You can see the little pot of cherry confit that was served with it:

[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/bfb_album/media/20140715_131637_zpsf6e2a237.jpg.html][IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh80/bfb_album/20140715_131637_zpsf6e2a237.jpg[/IMG][/URL]