McDonalds: l'Empire s'effrite

idun

And that was the headline on french news tonight.

Must say that they had me laughing..... a lot .............as world wide sales at McDo have declined 3.6%, BUT they have gone up in France by 2.6%.

Now they tried to explain the how and why this company was doing so well in France, but basically, it is still McDo's. I wouldn't care when we arrived, EVERYONE looked down their noses at the idea of american fast food. Ah well......how people, or is that peoples change their ideas.[;-)]

Its the simple fact that Macdo's the world over stick to their core values of a consistent quality product, it may be rubbish to many peoples taste but its consistent rubbish, you can go into any Macdo and know exactly what to expect.

That and the fact that they are open all the hours that people want to frequent them not just the hours/days that suit their whims.

Its hard to think of a single French retail business that wouldnt prosper by following Macdo's.

Actually I have to take that back, there is the exception Picard where you will get (a total lack of) service with a scowl, they open for breakfast here at 11.30 am and then tell you that they dont have a petit dejeuner menu, you will have to go to Amiens for that.

Went to Brico-depot once early with a french pal, he wanted an arrivage and needed me to help him load it all, he promised me a breakfast, there was a Macdo next door at Arras but it didnt open until 10am, we returned to our area only to find ours didnt open till 11.30, it was 10am by then, we could not find anywhere open even for a coffee and this was summertime in a tourist town, in the end the new boulangerie in town made us coffee to go with the pain au chocolats and put out a table for us, no surprise that the one boulangerie that opened right by 3 others in the centre of town, who spent a fortune on chrome and marble, who everyone said was crazy have put all the others out of business just by being open reasonable hours, serving people promptly with a smile and not a scowl.

Mc Do's fastest growing market has been France for any years, as I recall. I don't think there's any more truth these days to the myth that France is a land of gourmands and Michelin starred cookery than there is to the myth that all British food is awful, stodgy and bland. In fact, I suspect there are more foodies and food snobs in the UK these days than there are in many other countries, but I suspect it helps that Brits have been willing to adapt to change.

Whenever I hear things like this, it always brings back to me the oft-mentioned old chestnut cited by all and sundry when moving to France was becoming a national obsession 10 or 15 years ago: "it's like the UK used to be 25 years ago"....

It's a simple formula in france, IT'S OPEN!

Having had long drives across france and even through towns called Mezze at 6.30 on a Saturday in Spring I hoped I could find something to eat in the gastronomic centre of the world Yeh right! it came down to what the flies had turned there noses at in Pauls on the motorway or McD's  put up with the hunger and drove on home!

It's (usually) quick service, conveniently placed, with parking and free wifi, you can have just a drink or a meal, or any combination ... at any time (technically) when they are open which is often during times when restaurants are not open, especially good when in a hurry, travelling when you don't want a large meal or to stop for long, and as a loo stop!  (I have one earmarked near Chartres just for that!!).

Like many others, I don't make a habit of eating at McD's regularly, but they serve a need, hence their popularity and success.

On the occasions that we visit the McD in Mayenne town it is usually very busy. To be honest, I do enjoy a big mac and fries now and again.

I also remember being in Malta when the very first one opened in Valletta. It was the talk of the Island and very busy indeed.

They have a system and it works.

They are also very conscious of keeping their customers happy. Simple really.

Last week I had a cheeseburger from McDo's. Just next to where my car was parked and as I had a bit of a drive home and was hungry. It wasn't very nice. Next time, I'll wait until I get home or plan rather better.

We all preferred the Quick in France, (not that we went very often) and prior to that we had a burger restaurant in a CCial that we used to go to from time to time and that had lovely bread and very very tasty burgers, it closed when the competition arrived! A Quick and McDo near by did for them.