Slaked Lime

Hoddy

[quote user="Hoddy"]I've been looking at a recipe for 'Gliko".

It lists something called slaked lime. I don't even know what it is in English. Can anyone help ? I'd like to know what it is and where I might get it from.[/quote]Slake Lime is the lime used by farmers to control the ph of the soil. It is also used in making lime mortar. You may be able to get some at a builders merchant but possibly they will only sell it in larger quantities.

According to Wikipedia it is also used for pickling and in water treatment.

[quote user="HoneySuckleDreams"]Theiere...My guess is that Hoddy is looking at a couple of tea spoons of the stuff, not 25kg bags...[/quote]

Some of them olde recipes can call for large amounts!  worst case they can always carry out some DIY repairs with what's left  [:)]

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I heard an edition of the Food Programme on Radio 4 which talked about Gliko and I liked the sound of it.. I googled and came up with this

http://www.fondazioneslowfood.com/en/slow-food-presidia/permet-gliko/

I love crystalised fruit and I have a lot of walnut trees.

It does seem very fiddly though and I'm not quite so enthusiastic as I was to start with. I know about lime in gardens and on fields, but I didn't know it was 'slaked'.

Thanks again for everyone's contributions.

Maybe Andy, that said its very caustic so not much can live in it, wouldnt be dissolved by it. Very often the only difference between industrial, food grade and pharmaceutical grades is the packaging. Better sealed, possibly packaged in a clean room or simply double bagged. In slaked lime terms its chalk burned at 900 degrees and then water is added once cooled so contaminants in the original chalk would be burned out or burned out in the slaking. People pay extra for dirty salt to add to their food bypassing the clean white salt for often dirty grey.

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="HoneySuckleDreams"]Theiere...My guess is that Hoddy is looking at a couple of tea spoons of the stuff, not 25kg bags...[/quote]
Some of them olde recipes can call for large amounts!  worst case they can always carry out some DIY repairs with what's left  [:)]
[/quote]

Or bury the body with the rest of the 35kg after the two teaspoons have done their job, within no time at all there will only be the gold fillings for the forensics guys.

My pal in the negoce materiaux gets some dodgy types asking for lime, not really knowing at all what it is, types that have never done a days labour in their lives, worryingly women included.

[quote user="Théière"]Maybe Andy, that said its very caustic so not much can live in it, wouldnt be dissolved by it. Very often the only difference between industrial, food grade and pharmaceutical grades is the packaging. Better sealed, possibly packaged in a clean room or simply double bagged. In slaked lime terms its chalk burned at 900 degrees and then water is added once cooled so contaminants in the original chalk would be burned out or burned out in the slaking. People pay extra for dirty salt to add to their food bypassing the clean white salt for often dirty grey.[/quote]

It's not what might be living in the lime that is the problem. It is the potential contaminants - not all of which will be "burned off" at 900C.

I came across what I thought a quite bizarre incident from the 19th century where 14 people died from drinking beer !!! Almost enough to make you TT - well maybe not on a hot summers day.

It turned out that the barley was malted using a low grade coal rather than the usual coke or anthracite and as a consequence the malted barley became heavily contaminated with arsenic.

Thanks for that. I was aware that lime could be dangerous because I have a memory of a farm labourer in the village where I grew up being very badly burned after spilling some lime down his wellies. I didn't know if it was slaked of unslaked.

[quote user="andyh4"] It is the potential contaminants - not all of which will be "burned off" at 900C.

I came across what I thought a quite bizarre incident from the 19th century where 14 people died from drinking beer !!! Almost enough to make you TT - well maybe not on a hot summers day.

It turned out that the barley was malted using a low grade coal rather than the usual coke or anthracite and as a consequence the malted barley became heavily contaminated with arsenic.[/quote]

If it is from a dubious source then they could get away with almost anything.  From a main supplier the certificate would also prove what contaminants maybe present and just about anything containing arsenic to use your example couldn't be used even for agricultural use. A major supplier like St Astier would be fine. It's the same as Bicarb for swimming pools as Jonzjob and I both found out from our suppliers there aren't two assembly lines for Agri and food use, there are two packing areas, one goes into sacks and one into plastic bags in a cleaner environment.  Not sure what part the quicklime plays in Hoddy's recipe. .