Croissants - straight or curved?

Loiseau

My sister-in-law has just told me that straight croissants are all-butter, and crescent-shaped ones are made with margarine!

I googled this to see if it was true, and could only find sites that said "I think so". However, one of them mentioned that there is a French law on the matter (natch), so I wondered if anyone here knew of it?

Angela

I don't remember ever seeing a straight croissant. It seems funny to see 'straight croissant' as it's a contradiction. I suppose you could say a pain au chocolate is a straight croissant though. Those are what I enjoy eating, as a treat on a Sunday morning, maybe after a wander round the vide grenier.

Happily we are not using the word 'bent' for curved croissants; it was decided years ago by the Tribunal de Grande Instance de Belfort that such a term was pejorative and insulting to those croissants which might have been born different. In fact, the use of 'straight' might imply an opposite or a difference which in itself could therefore be construed as sexist, so please find another term.

Angela is just being a bored and naughty little minx in stirring this up; must be bored!

It allows the baker to distinguish between their pure butter and margarine croissants. It does seem, in France, the butter croissants are usually straight and the margarine curved. Certainly the case with the frozen croissants I buy.

I love the butter croissants and don't really care if they are straight or bent.

I prefer straight bananas though. The bent ones aren't so easy to munch especially when I'm driving [:-))] and double especially if I have a phone at my ear too [8-|]

But at the mo any kind of stuff with wheat or grain in it is out [:'(][:(]

Regrettably, not every egg produces a bird, but if the forum spent all its time discussing the location, seating and relative pricing of left handed wall binder thrum ovules, what a biring place it would be.

And since Norman has gone into summer retreat, someone has to try and stir the surface mire!!

• 1 year later...
I love croissants!! There are other versions also that I enjoy very much. You use pretty much the same ingredients plus some extras and you get something new like Pain au chocolat and Pain au raisins. They are larger and flatter and have custard and raisins inside. Of course they do not have the croissant shape.