Is that mustard really from Dijon, and other tales of wool and eyes!

woolybanana

The Figaro article below picks out a number of food items which one imagines might be French or made in France from French ingredients or similarlyq from French regions, but which might well not be. A prime example is camembert where a single word makes all the difference, similarly some hams and mustard.

I was surprised by some of them.

Just another example of how careful one has to be if one wants to eat quality food:

http://madame.lefigaro.fr/cuisine/moutarde-de-dijon-champignons-de-paris-camembert-faux-produits-du-terroir-200218-147290

[quote user="woolybanana"]Just another example of how careful one has to be if one wants to eat quality food:

http://madame.lefigaro.fr/cuisine/moutarde-de-dijon-champignons-de-paris-camembert-faux-produits-du-terroir-200218-147290[/quote]

Wooly's suddenly turned into Queen Elizabeth. [:)] No one has said anything about quality, it's about origins. 

"Stilton Cheese - actually this is controlled but none of it comes from Stilton or even the county where Stilton is situated"

Stilton cheese or more accurately Blue Stilton was never made at or in the village of Stilton.

It was originally sold from a coaching inn at the village of Stilton on the Great North Road near Huntingdon because the innkeeper negotiated exclusive marketing rights for the cheese, which was then made in Melton Mowbray Leicestershire - and that's how it got it's name.

• 1 month later...
At least I have visited a moutarderie in Beaune, which is not that far from Dijon.

And my neighbour brought me some Creme de Cassis from a factoriy visit in Dijon, and my was that GOOD! nothing like I have bought, even paying more.