It Started With A Year in Provence....

Richard T

[quote user="jon"]

Russet House there is a new cookery book released by Heston Blumenthal.....your second fav chef.

[/quote]

Isn't it £45 though ?

Friends of mine went to the Fat Duck and had the taster menu, this included the famous seafood dish where you have to wear an ipod and listen to the sea - both of them felt slightly queasy afterward and when the waiter asked them if everything was alright, they commented on it - the waiter insisted that it was the desired effect [:(]

The day I pay over £100 per head to be made to feel queezy........you can guess the rest.....

Give me Le Manoir or the Waterside any day of the week, you can actually  taste the food [:)]

[quote user="Russethouse"]

As Raymond Blanc is one of my favorite chefs and I agree with everything you say, the book is going straight on my Christmas list - and my sisters (sssshhhhh - don't tell her [;-)] )

Merci Beaucoup 

[/quote]

They were talking about Raymond Blanc on radio 4 this a.m. his book does sound very interesting, does anyone know the price?

As you might expect there are also a few (but just a few) recipes in the Raymond Blanc book. I can recommend the Tarte aux Pommes de Maman Blanc with the optional custard topping. It's very simple but so good I've made it four times in the last few weeks - and is equally good made with pears.

Richard T

[quote]Give me Le Manoir or the Waterside any day of the week, you can actually  taste the food[/quote]

I very much like the Manoir. My wife and I first went there in the early 80s; in 1986 (or 7?) our youngest son slept in Raymond Blanc's office ... in his carry cot (our son's, of course, not RB's). We stayed there (in a rather nice suite, not RB's office) for a couple of days shortly before leaving the UK. Last year we took our younger son to the Manoir for his 21st - the meal was, of course, excellent, as always. However, the following day my wife and I had lunch at The Fat Duck and that was simply magical (we avoided the Ipod, although it was amusing to watch other diners going through the experience) - the precision and intensity of the flavours was simply amazing and I rate it one of the two best meals of my life (the other was at the Moulin de Mougins, near Cannes, back in the 80s - the heyday of Roger Vergé) and slightly better than El Bulli (which I would rank third among my eating experiences).

For some time we had promised ourselves that we would eat at the Fat Duck, but I think we have gone of the idea slightly. (maybe after your review we will rethink)We have eaten at the Hinds Head (HB's pub) several times and the first time was really good, but since then we haven't enjoyed it as much - they use what I call 'fly by ' service, who ever is passing takes your order, clears your plate etc and it can be 3 or 4 different people through the meal. Very modern and I'm sure that way of doing it has its fans, but I'm not one of them.

We have just had lunch at our current favorite eaterie which has just won a  local prize for its food (http://www.myalacarte.co.uk/) - we are also looking forward to trying this :

http://www.caterersearch.com/Articles/2008/08/14/322806/daniel-galmiche-to-join-forbury-hotel.html

Why Bray has so many good restaurants remains a mystery !

http://www.restaurant-guide.com/uk+south-east+berkshire+bray.htm

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Richard for the Raymond Blanc book info. I will put it on my list too. I've always liked his cooking, partly because he comes from the same area as me- so uses ingredients I loved a a child. And we both arrived in the UK in early 70s- so remember my own thought on British bread, wine, etc- at the time! (Well Liebfraumilsch or Matteus are not British - but they were the only ones available then!)

Many thanks for the introduction to 'Words in a French life' by Kristin Espinasse.

Helpful website, delightful book and I was able to meet the author and Jean-Marc her husband at the French Wine-Growers fair at the Barbican on Friday.

The wines from their terroir are great too.

[quote user="Pads"]I liked C'est la folie by Micheal Wright .... funny simple easy read[/quote]

A quick thanks for this recommendation.

I've just finished reading it and not only is it superbly crafted and, at times, quite poignant it's also set in the same part of France as where I own a house (which also needs complete renovation just as the author's house did) so I was able to identify with many of his descriptions of the locality, not to mention the frequent trips to Castorama.

So what should I read next?

Richard T

[quote user="Renaud"]Many thanks for the introduction to 'Words in a French life' by Kristin Espinasse. Helpful website, delightful book and I was able to meet the author and Jean-Marc her husband at the French Wine-Growers fair at the Barbican on Friday. The wines from their terroir are great too.[/quote]

Renaud, I thought you'd renounced red wine or am I missing something.........?

• 2 weeks later...