French Constitution

cooperlola

I'm finally going to get my head down and start the process of getting French citizenship.  I try to keep up with day-to-day events but I confess I'm really in the dark about the French constitution and how it works.  Citizenship apart it would be good to know.  Can anybody recommend a good, readable textbook on the subject?

[quote user="cooperlola"]I'm finally going to get my head down and start the process of getting French citizenship.  [/quote]

Good luck coops.  I intend to do the same in a couple of years, for exactly the same reason, to be able to vote fully in the country I live.

The 1958 constitution forms the basis of the the Fifth Republic.

It came about with the aim to unite (re-unite?) the people under a common principle, flag and language.

You might want to read about the Fifth Republic to get an idea of the context. See the right-hand side section on this page for more background info.

The constitution itself is fairly easy to read in French and I know you're fluent  [:)] (see here).

[quote user="Clair"]I know you're fluent  [:)] (see here).
[/quote]I say again, "Yeah, right"!  But thanks,   I will start with your suggestions, Clair.

Has anybody read "Contemporary France : An Introduction to French Politics and Society" by David Howarth?  It seems to fit the bill to me but might be unreadably dull of course!  I'd like a book as I spend a lot of time at the hospital reading and thought I could use some of it on this.

Clair has given you a good start, and I wonder: there must be class textbooks around for lycéens, which cover the topic of the constitution. It would be in "Instruction Civique" section. There must be something basic like that in existence.

I once got a very thin (63 pages) paperback from the series "Les Essentiels Milan", with the title "La Justice en France" - "Mieux comprendre la justice"  (hoping it would enlighten me). So that is the kind I was thinking of. Good luck in your quest Coops. It is admirable that you are prepared to do all that research - I bet one would be surprised at the results if one interviewed a cross-sample of French people on their constitution.[:'(]