Holding Out For A Hero.......

frexpt

[quote user="brianagain"]Donna Leon's Blood from a Stone will be shown on ARD on 12 Feb at 2015 if you can get German TV

[/quote]

I purchased a TNT Sat receiver from either Carrefour or Auchan a couple of years back which linked to my satellite dish allows me to tune in most of the mainstream German channels as well as the French TNT channels. My German is also fairly rusty so I usually record the film and play it back to get a better understanding.

Brian (again)

[quote user="Russethouse"]

What dissapointed me slightly was the lack of depth of the explanation as to how he escaped from where he was left  in the book before [8-)]

[/quote]

Having just finished "Worth Dying For", I can agree completely with what you say about the two paragraph explanation for the ending of "61 Hours".  That said, Reacher's single handed obliteration of the population of part of Nebraska was impressive, even by his own standards.[8-|]

[quote user="Frecossais"]There's Henning Mankell's Wallander books. I really enjoyed them too. Mankell says he won't be writing any more of them, I heard him say on TV that he didn't particularly like his creation, Kurt Wallander. I think his readers did though.
[/quote]

I've never read these books, but was not too impressed by the TV adaptation of the character.  As fine an actor as Kenneth Branagh is, Wallander on the box is all a bit too intense........lots of meaningful silences.  That said, I appreciate that  books often don't translate to the small (or big) screen very well.........goodness knows whoever cast John Hannah in the original series of "Rebus".  Perhaps this is the also case with Wallander.

Thank you to everybody who has contributed to this thread.  I now have a reading list that should potentially keep me occupied for some time yet. 

Haviing finished the Lee Child series I had been reading, I started Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything",  the thinking being that perhaps a complete change of genre was the answer.  However, at 29 pages in and no broken bones or blood, I need something more realistic.................[:D]

[quote user="frexpt"][quote user="Russethouse"]

What dissapointed me slightly was the lack of depth of the explanation as to how he escaped from where he was left  in the book before [8-)]

[/quote]

Having just finished "Worth Dying For", I can agree completely with what you say about the two paragraph explanation for the ending of "61 Hours".  That said, Reacher's single handed obliteration of the population of part of Nebraska was impressive, even by his own standards.[8-|]

[/quote]

Well thats Reacher !

No sign of a new book for 2011 or a tour (just two US dates on Lee Childs website)

As well as the British version of the Wallander books, there have been various Swedish adaptations at different times, (the books were first written in the 90s.) These were far more interesting and truer to the books. They were shown in the Swedish with English sub-titles. I have seen the Branagh ones and found him  OTT, but the books are much better than any of the series. They show the painstaking work that is involved in crime detection, but are not without tension or drama. They even have villains that want to take over the world!

• 3 months later...
[quote user="Frecossais"]Oh, I wish I'd seen that series last summer, it looks very faithful to the books, and the scenery looks fantastic. Thanks, Brianagain for the link.

[/quote]

A heads up for the showing of "Through a glass, darkly" on FR3 next Sunday (5th June) at 2030 (CET). This is one of the German tv series of Donna Leon's novels.  "Suffer the little children" was shown tonight on FR3 but unfortunately I missed it - the last 3 weeks have been dedicated to following the Giro d'Italia (British rider David Millar won the final stage today) instead of keeping up on French tv.

Brian (again)

When I first started reading this thread back in january I hadnt heard of Jack Reacher -then i picked up number 13 from somewhere and realized who you were all talking about .

I got 1 & 2 from Amazon just before we returned to france and my daughter gave me 3,4 5 & 6 .  My OH has been sitting quietly for the last 2 weeks reading - chuckling occasionally

I expect he will finish number 6 tomorrow so then  I will be looking for another series for him to read .

Luckily on the Parc where we are we have a super English library so I do have some war type books lined up for him - but he has been totally spoilt by Jack Reacher

[quote user="Pads"]

The trilogy by Tom Rob Smith starting with Child 44  is a fantastic read, Hubby and I couldnt put them down   

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Child-44-Tom-Rob-Smith/dp/1847391591/ref=pd_sim_b_1

[/quote]

Thanks, I'll add these to my reading list and look out for them.

Since staring this post, I have acquired the four books in the Camel Club series by David Baldacchi and looking forward to working my way through those in due course.  Someone also recommended the Lucas Davenport "Prey" series of novels by John Sandford.  The first in the series I think was published in 1989 and there has been roughly one a year since then, so 21 to date.

I bought the first three but couldn't warm to the "hero" at all in the first or second book, even though there is a splendid story line in each....graphic & gruesome!

However, there is an obvious evolution of the Davenport character in the third book, with an almost "Rebus-like" darker and more vulnerable side emerging.  Anyway, having enjoyed that book much more, I have taken the plunge and sourced the remaining 18 in the series[Www], so I think I am now well set for the next few months!

By the way, unlike Reacher, this is a series that needs to be read in sequence, starting with "Rules of Prey"

[quote user="Cluzo"]When I first started reading this thread back in january I hadnt heard of Jack Reacher -then i picked up number 13 from somewhere and realized who you were all talking about .
I got 1 & 2 from Amazon just before we returned to france and my daughter gave me 3,4 5 & 6 .  My OH has been sitting quietly for the last 2 weeks reading - chuckling occasionally
 I expect he will finish number 6 tomorrow so then  I will be looking for another series for him to read .
Luckily on the Parc where we are we have a super English library so I do have some war type books lined up for him - but he has been totally spoilt by Jack Reacher
[/quote]

Quite right, there is no-one quite like Reacher!  There is a new book due August/September, so your hubby has just about time to catch up on the others beforehand.........[:D]