Man Booker shortlist

Polremy

We always buy the shortlist and bring all 6 of them with us when we fly south for the winter.

Just wondered what other people thought of this year's selection.

I loved Half Blood Blues and The Sisters Brothers.

I finished Sense of an Ending yesterday and think it needs a second reading - very interesting.

Today I started Pigeon English which is not really grabbing me at the moment but I'll reserve judgement until I get further into it.

Just wondered what everyone else thought.

Must admit I hate that too.

You have to keep going back and saying to yourself: "that was John, so that next bit was Mary, so now it must be John again.

Annoying.

All the family going home in the morning so I'll have time to investigate Wolf Hall and find out whether I read it or not.

You're right, Renaud.

Just checked out the bookcase - Wolf Hall is enormous. I probably couldn't face starting such a great tome and left it till last - then didn't get round to it at all.

Will put it next on my list to read this time.

We brought it over with the other 5 in 2009.

That year the 6 shortlisters took up quite a lot of our 10kg hand baggage allowance I seem to remember.

I had to read Wolf Hall for my reading group, but was put off by the present tense aspect and didn't buy it. My friend lent it to me afterwards and I couldn't put it down. As you read, you become accustomed to the way Mantell writes. I realised that when Cromwell was talking in the book, he was always called "he".

It is a brilliant book I think, it makes the characters and the history come alive.

There were some things I liked about the book, but generally I like well researched historical fiction, Philippa Gregory is a good writer but probably more 'romantic' than Mantle, and Alison Weir is pretty good too.

I have a feeling there was more to it than just the use of 'he' but I gave my copy away so I can't check........of course Gregory's idea of Mary Boleyn and Mantles are a little different, still history is all a question of perspective .........[;-)]

But historical fiction is a great way of acquiring knowledge of the times at grass roots level, don't you think? By that I mean that you get to live with the people you're reading about.

For example I know that London in the 16th century was a series of unlinked villages but I really understood how it must be to travel in that London when I read the CJ Sansom books starting with Dissolution.

In my school history lessons, Cromwell was demonised for aiding the break-up with Rome, but Wolf Hall introduced a man who did things for a reason (whether you agreed with him or not) and made him into a real person.

Sorry if this is more a meander than a specific point.