eBooks not compatible with justice?

Jazzer

Two points:

He'll be lucky if paperbacks made today will last 10 years - the binding is so weak ... paper quality so poor etc

I am not sure what justice has to do with it.

My credentials: a retired librarian, who loves books, and would never be without , but who has found the kindle is super when print becomes too small.  Kindle is not the perfect reader for many items, but it good for novels and text size - not so good for factual stuff especially with lots of  pictures.

When I was first training - and as computers came along the demise of the book was projected.

It hasn't happened yet and it won't with e-readers. In my mind there is room for both.

Well, the percentage of books being published in both mediums seems very high still, though this of course might change. It may be that paperbacks will suffer, though, in the long run.

He is right in saying that some books are an experience in themselves which is not true of electronic stuff.

I can only see books being available even more widely if they can be downloaded at decent prices.

[quote user="Jazzer"]Interesting article:

http://www.independent.ie/todays-paper/jonathan-franzen-ebooks-are-damaging-society-3003586.html[/quote]

I note, however, that his antipathy to the ebook has not prevented him from cashing in by offering his books on Amazon for Kindle download.  What utter, rank hypocrisy.  What some people will do for publicity!

Well perhaps my local Mediatheque is starting to compete.

The number of " documents " has been increased this year to a total of 21.

As follows:

8 books for 4 weeks

3 magazines for 4 weeks

8 CD for 4 weeks

2 DVD  max per household for 1 week.

All that as a non Parthenay Community resident for  € 14 per year.

The Parthenay Mediatheque has a total of about 100,000 documents.

The DVD catalogue is in conjunction with the Deux Sèvres Departmental Library.