library ebooks

Tom

I have a Kindle and a Kobo. The Kobo is clunkier to use, but in UK libraries you can download and 'borrow'  ebooks for 3 weeks on to the Kobo format but not yet the Kindle. The selection at my local library isn't huge, but recently read  Nesbo, Kate Atkinson, Le Carré and William Boyd books for free.

Do French libraries offer ebooks?

UK libraries do not pay Public Lending Rights (PLR) to authors on ebooks they lend out, whereas they have to pay them on physical books.

From the little that I have read about it, The Society of Authors may decide to issue a legal challenge to ensure authors receive the same PLR on ebooks.

In France, where book prices are regulated, authors fear piracy and there is pressure from the publishing companies to avoid talking about lending ebooks altogether.

According to Hachette's CEO, lending libraries (bibliothèques) "should concentrate on paper books for those people who cannot afford to buy them, and not on ebooks for people who can afford an e-reader."

[quote user="Clair"]

According to Hachette's CEO, lending libraries (bibliothèques) "should concentrate on paper books for those people who cannot afford to buy them, and not on ebooks for people who can afford an e-reader."

[/quote]

I find it charming and yet somehow sad that in our French village, the local newsletter always has an update from the village library listing all the books it has bought for the library that year. Yes, there are so few that they can list them all, by title and author. Friends in the village who use the library have always read the same books.