First day out with dodgy leg

Charlotte3

I saw a guy wearing something like that on his foot in Muscat airport a couple of weeks ago, Robo-cop came into my mind at the time.

I rode an Enfield some years ago with a plaster cast up to the knee, it was my brake foot so made delicate braking a bit hit and miss.[:)]

Funnily enough they are nicknamed "Robocop" boots, but it's done nothing for my desire to arrest people!

From memory the March has quite a tight footbox, so I need to shed a LOT of swelling, and a lot of "if I sit and recover, but still eat and don't excercise" build up!! I tried throwing the other crutch away this morning, stood and wobbled for a while and sort of crawled to the wall for support. Wimp!

The muscle waste is unbelievable, isn't it?  I couldn't quite get to grips with how thin by bad leg looked compared to the other one when they took the plaster off mine.  It'll come but, my, it's frustrating.  Still, you have something to spur you on...

[quote user="f1steveuk"]Injuries caused by a car, a horse, and a dog, must mean motorbikes are safe!!![;-)][/quote]Let's add Bicycles to the list of dangers.  Must remember that I'm older, fatter and although the brain thinks it's OK, the body's not quite up to the job!  Trying to wheelie my sons mountain bike a couple of weeks ago I fell off, broke the fibula and snapped all the ligaments holding the foot in place (the foot basically twisted around at the end of the leg).  Needed an operation to pin the bones back together and hold the foot in place, so now in plaster for 8 weeks non-weight bearing. 

Silly indeed.  Especially as I infamous for doing dangerous motorsports!  Have a couple of Motobikes (Blackbird for the road and ex-British Supersport factory bike for trackdays) and do lots of car/bike trackdays!  Even missed going to the Le Mans MotoGP this weekend, and won't be riding/driving anything exotic to the 24H this year.

You have my sympathies! I have developed a single mindedness to get in that March at Goodwood, though this morning I couldn't even push the clutch down in a Volvo (I wasn't planning to drive, honest).

Your story reminds me of the quote, "my brain is writing cheques that my body can't keep"!!

[quote user="cooperlola"]The muscle waste is unbelievable, isn't it?  I couldn't quite get to grips with how thin by bad leg looked compared to the other one when they took the plaster off mine.  It'll come but, my, it's frustrating.  Still, you have something to spur you on...[/quote]I was put into a new type of plastercast on Friday.  It was put on by wrapping a special wet bandage that sets as hard plastic.  It's almost as hard as plaster yet incredibly light, so getting about is so much easier.  After putting it on and letting it set, it was then immediately cut off again and velcro straps were attached to it, so it's now a removable cast.  Although I'm not allowed to take it off for at least two more weeks (4 weeks into recovery) they have said I can remove it to begin basic physio in the bath, moving the foot around and using the muscles to prevent muscle waste.  I'm told that moderm thinking is that with long term plastercasts, because muscle waste becomes almost as much as a problem as the broken bones, this new method of giving lightweight removable casts is taking off massively.

I know for a fact I am up and moving weeks ahead if I had been in a traditional plaster, the aircast is superb.

I was also surpised by the French doctors reaction to what the English surgeon did to me. The were astounded by the sheer weight of the first plaster, and that no treatment had been offered as regards DVT, although I cannot say I enjoyed injecting myself for 28 days, but there is definetly a leaning toward prevention, rather than cure!

Just arrived back in the UK for physio and a check up with the surgeon. I actually drove the car on the way back, well to be honest, I did the motorway stints, and once I had pulled away I wasn't using the clutch, the joys of learning to drive at a young age, racing! Now I'm moving about the house without the cast, and sometimes with only one stick, yet it STILL feels like I am not progressing. Very frustrating![:@]