Well, it had to happen...............

Bugsy

Hi Cathy,

Its a Diesel engine. They have never been used in mass production in bikes due to the weight (diesel engines have to be built stronger therefore heavier) and noise (diesels are generally noisier).

Another reason for them not being used before now is, of course, lack of performance, compared to petrol-fuelled bikes.

I think this will do well, if they can get the price down to a more reasonable level.

The engine in that bike looks, to me, like the three-cylinder VW engine as used in the Lupo.

Gary.

I can't imagine that there is a rear tyre that would handle the torque of a diesel without a very short life.

If BMW were to make one with a 1000cc then they could give it some power - they manage over 80 bhp per litre from their car diesel engines.

[quote user="Bugsy"]Hi Cathy.  Its a Diesel engine. They have never been used in mass production in bikes due to the weight (diesel engines have to be built stronger therefore heavier) and noise (diesels are generally noisier). Another reason for them not being used before now is, of course, lack of performance, compared to petrol-fuelled bikes.[/quote]

Why is a diesel engine such a good idea?  I'm not being facetious just a desire to understand.

[I have two diesel cars because I have to find cars that fit our large family.]

Pretty much the same reasons we buy diesel cars really.

Economical, tremendous torque and will run on poor quality fuels (as found in third-world countries) but little else really.

They are never going to give your average petrol-head the buzz you get from a full-on song petrol burner.

Personally, I wouldn't buy one, but for someone planning a round the world adventure, or someone wanting the ultimate in two-wheeled fuel economy, they could be ideal.

Diesel engines have been available in Enfields. Chuffing slow though and need quite a kick to start. They were using Japanese Robin engines. Goof fuel consumption you just have to find a way to stay awake. A Mobylette is probably a better bike.

Military also use diesel as want common fuel across vehicles.

Although a few years ago the SAS were using fourstroke XR400s, probably on KTMs now.

80 bhp per litre !  from a diesel road car,  i find that hard to believe.[quote user="Bob T"]I can't imagine that there is a rear tyre that would handle the torque of a diesel without a very short life.

If BMW were to make one with a 1000cc then they could give it some power - they manage over 80 bhp per litre from their car diesel engines.

[/quote]

yes but is there any point to these cars? what do they weigh & what do they rev to ?diesels are alright for pulling heavy weights with hardly any revs.  ie lorrys , caravans  etc.i wouldn't have thought they'd be  any good for motorbikes unless you like plodding around bored to death.

Plenty of diesel aircraft around, both in history and modern. In fact all jets use a form of diesel. I can think of at least three or four modern diesel piston engines in aviation, there is a whole website about them here.

People who think that diesels are heavy, low powered and only any good for pulling loads are living in the past.

I don’t know what all the fuss is about, there have been diesel bikes for quite some time.There’s a guy in Coalvile Leicestshire,Charnwood Classic Restorations, an ex sidecar road racer who has been importing the Indian Enfield Bullet for close on 20 years, he then pulls out the Enfield engine an installs in it’s place a 350cc Hatz deisel engine, originally a stationary engine, they also have manufactured a five gallon tank for this machine. The performance is quite breath taking, max 9BHP @ 3.800 rpm 0-60 mph in 15 minutes with a max speed of 60 mph, on the plus side the fuel consumption is fantastic, it has a claimed 170 mpg. On the down side, it does suffer from terrible noise polution.

A friend of mine, who is even after 40 odd years still a out and out Extrovert and an Extravagant Plonker, puchased one of these new machines in 2004 and the following year rode it from his home in Wedmore Somerset to here at my place and achieved 160 mpg with a riding time of 48 hours. Going out for a ride proved to be very embarrassing being anywhere near him you could see the people grimacing in pain with the noise, even his wife would keep her distance on her BM 850 gs and park away from him when stopped.

Needless to say that machine is now hidden away in the back of his 3 (at the last count full of bikes) covered in a dust sheet.

• 2 weeks later...

Diesel bikes are boring, there are converted  Kawasaki trail bikes made for the military.

I would prefer one of these.... sod the fuel consumption.......

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2006/05/10/radial-engine-powered-motorcycle/

I have been in contact with an American and am trying to get him pictures of a friends Sopwith motorcycle it is so beautiful. 'Cos the Yanks are putting Sopwith aircraft engines into motorcycles.