Finished sign, step by step....ish!

Chris Head

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Dick Smith"]That wasn't me!

Be like Dad, keep Mum. That was a good one.

I didn't say that, either.

[/quote]

Apologies Dick for my misquote.

I remember being shown a poster at school on the subject of ww1 (i think!)

Do what dad does,,,,,keep mum.

[quote user="Chris Head"]

I moved the 'e' in Le also, thanks Gay and shortened the tail on the 'L', cheers Cassis (are you still talking to me after the piggy piccy?) 

[/quote]

Looks much better, Chris, with the new "L".  What piggy?  I'm sure I won't take offence!

John (Jonzjob) beat me to it by the way - I was going to say it looks like a piece you might have done with a router!  Amazed what can be done with a chainsaw.

Like Dick, I can't wait to have the mystery of the apostrophe solved.  I can only see it as a sign for something (possibly a shop, a bar or some other establishment) that belongs to someone (or, at a stretch, to something) called Le Gif. 

Le Git in france? [blink]

Aaah.  I guess not!  On the other hand, a pig had to die for me to be.  My friend Guy is a retired butcher.  Once a year he slaughters a pig and butchers it for his cousin.  He gave me some lovely boudin noir this year.  Scrumbly. 

Cassis the Cannibal

Back in the days before electric washing machines, there were things called poss sticks which were used to agitate the washing in the tub - some looked like a small 3-legged stool on the end of a shaft with a handle.  I have no idea where I am going with this ... [:$]

>>> Back in the days before electric washing machines, there were things called poss sticks which were used to agitate the washing in the tub - some looked like a small 3-legged stool on the end of a shaft with a handle.  I have no idea where I am going with this ... <<<

I thought they were called 'dollies' or 'dolleys' ...?...

You don't want to admit that you used to play with dollies when you were a wee sausage!

[quote user="Cassis"]Back in the days before electric washing machines, there were things called poss sticks which were used to agitate the washing in the tub - some looked like a small 3-legged stool on the end of a shaft with a handle.  I have no idea where I am going with this ... [:$]

[/quote]

That's what you get from being a cannibal i believe! Think it's called mad sausage disease or something.

Off to UK tomorrow, Pub is top of the list! How much is a pint now?? Must be getting on for for a tenner a pint now surely! [B]

Louise

But she wasn't related to you Cassis, promise! I put the round in her head myself, I was wanting to use 9mm but the butcher commented that if I wanted any pig left at all then perhaps ,22 would be better!

I've heard you need a wad of notes at least a centimetre thick to go to an English pub now, mines a pint of Abbot please Louise!

Cheers, Chris!

oooh ale, yummy! i shall force me-self to drink it on your behalf Chris! Must try and locate a pint of 'Tea' Hogsback brewery, lovely stuff.

As for the glass..........as long as its water-tight, that'll do. (.........although none of this half pint nonsense.)

Laters all, [B]

Louise

[quote user="Chris Head"]

But she wasn't related to you Cassis, promise! I put the round in her head myself, I was wanting to use 9mm but the butcher commented that if I wanted any pig left at all then perhaps ,22 would be better!

I've heard you need a wad of notes at least a centimetre thick to go to an English pub now, mines a pint of Abbot please Louise!

Cheers, Chris!

[/quote]

Try yer local Leclerc supermarché Chris. They got Abbot in the won 'ere ('posses' be bugggered!), bit expensive, but good... I will stick to my Jenlain though. After all I did manage to put up with Tiger for 2 1/2 years when I was stationed in Singapore. What hell I went through in my service to our Queen. (I suppose I'll get corrected for the crapital on the Queen now?)

And I would think that it would depend on which way the 9mm wos shot. In the left ear and out of the right should leave the rest intact [:P] pert etra?

Dick

If you havn't already read it you will enjoy "Eats, shoots and leaves" by Lyn Truss, it has made me into a pedant looking for wrongly punctuated signs.

A very trendy and (dare I say the "C" word) contemporary bar has just appeared in the nearest town, like "T" shirts it appears to be de rigeur to have English text despite whether it makes sense or not.

In this case it is called "The corner's pub" it was fun trying to discuss in French with the proprietor what he wanted to say, and what it in fact said, I'm not sure that I was able to fully explain but he doesn't care because it is popular with the La jeunesse quand meme.

Edited

He asked the signmaker/translator for the bar with corners or the bar on the corner(s).

[quote user="Cassis"]I guess they mean the pub on the corner? 

Not sure what trade a "corner" ever plied; possibly it involved removing corns.  Or sharpening bulls' horns.
[/quote]

Ah yes but the added apostrophe means that the corner is the owner of the pub!

Ah, have just read your post carefully and you already understand that better than me!