Fast & accurate morticing.

Chris Head

Over the coming months I want to share what I've taught myself in the hope that it helps provoke some ideas, and more important....some action.

The very philosophy of what I do is simple, I work with my hands, my head and my heart. I'm not into spending a load of money on machinery that takes me away from the contact I have with timber. You simply don't need a load of big machines to produce good work, I know of those who wouldn't know one end of a chisel from another or the difference between a lump of pine and a lump of Oak but they think their machines make them the dogs danglies! For me it's simple, KISS...keep it simple stupid !

Onto work...

This is a system of morticing that is fast and accurate, the tools required are minimal, the router is the main requirement. I might be teaching some of you to suck eggs but then again maybe not.

Start by marking out as normal with a mortice gauge and try square, I've pencilled in the scored lines to make them clearer, the timber is approx 75mm square.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/chrishead/DSC01074.jpg[/IMG]

The next bit is to place a pre made jig, simplicity in itself to make, over the marked mortice and screw it to the timber. Clamp the workpiece to the bench as well.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/chrishead/DSC01075.jpg[/IMG]

Next drill out the waste to the appropriate depth, taking into account to depth of the guide jig, approx 10mm.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/chrishead/DSC01076.jpg[/IMG]

Having cleared the waste from the drilled out mortice you're ready to cut the joint. The router is fitted with a guidebush and straight cutter. The cutter doesn't touch the guidebush and the guidebush will follow the edges of the jig.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/chrishead/DSC01077.jpg[/IMG]

Move the router around the edge of the jig cutting gradually deeper until you've hit the required depth. Clear the waste from the mortice all the time, I use a blowgun on the compressor to do this.

The result is a nice clean mortice.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/chrishead/DSC01078.jpg[/IMG]

Unscrew the jig, there will be two screwholes left. Whittle down an off cut and tap it into the hole. Cut off with a flushcut saw and chisel or sand flush. The screwholes will be virtually undetectable and even if they are will look like 'pipping'.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/chrishead/DSC01079.jpg[/IMG]

And that's how I cut mortices, with a little practice it takes maybe two or three minutes to achieve perfect mortices every time for next to no cost.

The size of mortice can be infinately varied. THE single most important factor in achieving perfection is to get used to marking out accurately, the rest is kids play.

Ah but Chris you are using machinery that is taking you away from contact with the wood!

I have two techniques, if I have the time and am feeling in a "craftsman" mood I will use my father's (and grandfathers) tools of hand brace and bit and mortice (hand) chisels.

If not then I put the morticing attachment on my huge floor mounted the pillar drill! - To be fair I usually do them by hand because of the set up time although I sometimes use the battery drill and a spiral bit to save effort but not really time as a properly sharpened bit in a good ratchet hand brace is remarkably quick and can get into places that the pillar drill can't!

If I have a lot of large mortices to do say 3/4" in oak then I would usually set up the drill morticer.

Chris do you ever use a chain mortiser (I think it should be morticer and rebates should be "rabbets" but that's my father's influence) for your larger works or have you found a safe(ish) way of plunging in a chainsaw? 

I know I know JR, but as you know when there's alot of chopping out to do it just wouldn't be feasible by hand.

No I don't use a chain morticer, it the joints are in quite big section, 200mm square & above I'll use chainsaw. Plunge or bore cutting with a chainsaw really is very safe if you know what you're doing, but potentially lethal if not. The benches I carve are all morticed & tennoned with chainsaw only.

Are you in the trade JR? Got any piccys ?

Cheers, Chris

Myself I use either a brace and bit, or a drill with a speed bit, I have a favourite 20mm auger for the drill,

& base all my joints on 20mm if possible. Although it is very tired. For cleaning out a chisel for me is best, if it was repetitve stuff, I would consider making a jig for the router, maybe. But as has been said it takes the contact away from the material.

When,,,,, I get a workshop, a machine I intend to get would be a morticer.

I much prefered using the brace and bit for fitting locks when I used to hang a lot of doors, but not much of that here in France.

[quote user="Chris Head"]

Are you in the trade JR? Got any piccys ?

Cheers, Chris

[/quote]

No Chris.

I was a very enthusiastic amateur and whenever I got the opportunity in my old profession (installing automatic gates and barriers) I would make the gates myself, whether wood or steel usually at significant cost to me! but the customers usually appreciated it.

I have been here 18 months now renovating a derelict ex hotel to turn into rental flats and have really missed my hobby, I did still have a fully equipped wood work shop in the UK but have now converted it into a flat for when I have to return. The woodworking machinery is now sharing space in the (also unused) car and mechanical workshop which ironically is why I built the woodworking shop.

The situation now is that I have slowly brought over most if not all the hand, portable and small bench tools leaving only the big static machines, when I returned last weekend I could not even find a chisel to free off a sticking gate!

The bigger stuff that I have brought over includes table saw, router table, portable thicknesser and a sliding mitre saw with homemade extending cabinet which can take 8" legths of timber.

I really miss the hobby and whenever I find the excuse I get sidetracked into making small bits of furniture or built in cabinets etc.

Like a lot of us I have exchanged one life for another and do not miss the commercial/material world one bit which I know some people could not do and struggle to understand me, I in turn struggle to understand they that never get the opportunity to create or repair/recycle something with their own hands.

I took a year out and backpacked around the world before moving here and for me the most difficult thing was not carrying tools and being able to make/repair things as I have always been able to. In fact it was impossible and I repaired an accident damaged Land Rover (with borrowed tools) in Mozambique, rebuilt and toured and lived in a scrap campervan in New Zealand (borrowed and bought tools) and finally gave into temptation and worked as a carpenter in Vanuatu and New Zealand.

Aside from this I generally fixed everything I could for others in out of the way places and countries using my leatherman and stock of stainless lockwire and epoxy putty.

I will try to take and post some pictures of my miter saw station with wings but can you give me some hints on how to do this as I am not too computer literate.

[quote user="Deimos"]I find that its getting an accurate tenon that is harder than getting a decent mortice.

Ian[/quote]

Take time marking out, you can always take off, but not put back on. Or a good phrase is,,,, Its better to be looking at it than looking for it!

Always cut the shoulders first.

"I really miss the hobby and whenever I find the excuse I get sidetracked into making small bits of furniture or built in cabinets etc.

Like a lot of us I have exchanged one life for another and do not miss the commercial/material world one bit which I know some people could not do and struggle to understand me, I in turn struggle to understand they that never get the opportunity to create or repair/recycle something with their own hands."

J.R. I understand this completely.

As  a modern day builder in the UK it breaks my heart to see the old features (and hearts) ripped out of houses for commercial purposes. I long for a workshop where I can spend days restoring old items to one day grace my own home and maybe others. Trouble is that the market for those that will pay for the love and hours you put into it is small, so it has to remain a self indulgent hobby for most of us. As a prospect for making a living , it is sadly not an option. But one day I will retire and enjoy not having to worry about cost and profit margins[:D]

That's a scary pic Massimo! I think it's an Ms440, it'd go through his foot in less than a second!

JR wrote ‘Like a lot of us I have exchanged one life for another and do not miss the commercial/material world one bit which I know some people could not do and struggle to understand me, I in turn struggle to understand they that never get the opportunity to create or repair/recycle something with their own hands.’

That’s a great story JR, many people don’t have the opportunities to learn and experience in the way that people like us do, I don’t think that many would want to take the risks involved but in truth, the more one becomes used to operating and developing outside of ones ‘comfort zone’ the easier it becomes to ‘survive’. I told my clients today that in truth I was working for me, not for them, if you understand?

Smiley wrote ‘Trouble is that the market for those that will pay for the love and hours you put into it is small, so it has to remain a self indulgent hobby for most of us.’

I completely understand your frustration Smiley, but how else do you move forward in life and forge new skills and products other than taking great big plunges and seeing what happens? My project at the moment is an example, I was given free rein to do what I wanted so long as timescales and measurements were adhered to, the risk…and it was a huge one….is that my clients say ‘Nope, take it back, don’t like it.’ Luckily they don’t feel like that. Is it self indulgent? Oh sure, the risks I've taken in the past have been quite big, I simply did what I felt was right at the time but the path has been full of adventure and ups and downs...long may they continue!

I remember years ago a quote I’ve never forgotten….’Those people who will be most successful in life will be those who are able to invent themselves on society’, it followed a long debate on radio and has always stuck.

Toodley pip, Chris

[quote user="Chris Head"]

That's a scary pic Massimo! I think it's an Ms440, it'd go through his foot in less than a second!

[/quote]

Chris, i can guarantee that no nephew was harmed on the making of that photo...

anyway, talking of dangerous tools... 2 months ago i almost lost a thumb opening a tin of confit de canard! sewed 2 nerves, 1 artery and 1 tendon! 

and tomorrow it chain saw again, the wind today blow down a tree by the pool... so wish me good luck!