Log Splitters

Pierre ZFP

I've seen lately in a number of Bricos electric log splitters.  They have a motor of around 1500 watt and cost 150 euros and up.  The smaller ones such as this claim to have a capacity of 4 tonnes splitting pressure.

I have a lot of wood to split  and usually use steel wedges but it's hard worh and time consuming (well it is when I do it)  but I just think these things don't have enough grunt and only the bigger (and much more expensive)  ones actually work.

Has anyone got one and if so what do you think? 

I haven't got one Pierre, my instinct would be that you might find it frustrating.

The occasions I don't have time to split by hand I borrow the farmer neighbours 18 ton tractor mounted splitter, is that an option?

I personally LOVE splitting by hand, it really can have some excercise value. You can work various parts of your upper body, have a good think in the process and be productive! I'll set myself a day of splitting and just keep going until I can barely walk...yeah ok I quite enjoy the pain.....it also keeps me in touch with my neanderthal side[:D].

Get that chopper out Pierre[:-))]

Chris: you quite obviously a masochist! [:P]

Good way to keep fit and keep the old muscles in trim, though.

What about the hand pumped hydraulic splitters? That's what I am considering for next year.

From my experience of four and ten ton rams, they should work well. And you do get some exercise.

Anyone any experience of these beasts?

[quote user="Gluestick"]

What about the hand pumped hydraulic splitters? That's what I am considering for next year.

From my experience of four and ten ton rams, they should work well. And you do get some exercise.

[/quote]

A wee bit of pain has it's attractions GS[:D], especially if there's something to be gained from it. May I suggest that y'all stop looking for a magic way to split wood, get your heads aroung the excercise bit, go out and buy a maul and get stuck in. I can manage around 5 m3, split and stacked in the day.

[quote user="Chris Head"]

. I can manage around 5, split and stacked in the day.

[/quote]

Pathetic....................I can easily double that before lunch and then do another 5 before dinner.....

thats 15 logs a day, right..[:D]

[quote user="Gluestick"]

[/quote]

Gluestick, whatever you do DON'T mention rams. 4 and 10 ton ones will get our Chris exercising his leg muskles as he vanishes over the hill!!! Oh what would we do without his winging and his good info on our chain saws [:-))]...

I use one of those wedges that go to a square at the top. The edge is sharp and when it's whacked into the wood it turns and splits a treat. We don't have a great deal of wood to split, but it does a great job. Red painted kit and not cheap, but I agree with Chris that the exercise is good. Just a shame it sets off my tinitus!! We have a lot of mimosa at the moment and it burns well and hot... and is easy to split.

[quote user="Bugbear"]

[quote user="Chris Head"]

. I can manage around 5, split and stacked in the day.

[/quote]

Pathetic....................I can easily double that before lunch and then do another 5 before dinner.....

thats 15 logs a day, right..[:D]

[/quote]

Bugbear, I think that you missed the piont of the 'm'. I think that Chris is doing a rethink of 5 and has actually meant 5 mmmmm (maybe) 3. So that means not 3 times, but 5 times more than Chris! No wonder he can't sort out a couple a tiny lambs? Poor little things... He is cruel! [:-))]

Five cubic meters, Chris. Bah gum, is that all?

When I wer' t lad, I used to get up three hours before I went to bed, chop down a whole forest before I went to work oop t'mill, work a 29 hour shift and cum home and before supper, chop up forest into matchsticks for t'match factory and then after supper, chop down another forest and make a new bed from t'logs.

And you tell young ones today and they don't bloody believe you! They don't bloody believe you!!