Electric chainsaw ?

• 2 weeks later...
My trusty Husky 242XP failed me at the week end and is now in need of a major repar, so I thought - after following this thread - whilst I'm collecting the parts for the Husky, I'd get an electric to cut the firewood.

After a bit of research I settled on a Stihl MSE180 with a 40cm guide.  All I can say is Wow, I'd never have thought an electric saw would be so good at log cutting.  It truly is the business for the fire wood in the yard.

A word of warning for those considering the cheaper brico sourced brands.  Check you can get spares.  Are the chains  available, can you get new guides, yes probably to both these, but the crunch is the chain spocket as Stihl call it; the thing that drives the chain.  This is a wear item and it is recommended it is changed every 2 chains, ok for Stihl and Husky owners, for other brands?

You chose a good saw pcwhizz, I'm sure most petrol saw users would be suprised what a good electric saw can do. I personally love 'em!

Chains and sprockets (both rim and spur type) tend to be universal across the brands and easily available from any decent saw dealer. As for changing the sprocket every two chains, it very much depends on the power of the saw and the torque the sprocket has to deal with. Wear on a sprocket is easily monitered, if in doubt ask a dealer.

• 8 months later...

I'm still having problems getting the petrol saw to go and now my arms ache. Last week I saw a €59.50 promo electric 2000w saw with 40cm chain in Auchan Cognac and decided that £40 wasn't going to break the bank for an experiment. It's an Italian brand but made in PRC.

I have found it superb for my simple task of cutting logs down to size for the insert. After maybe 25 logs or so the saw slowed down its rate of cutting and needed a sharpen. It does just what I want and is well worth the €59 to me for occasional use and I wish I'd bought one a year ago. 

Lidl are doing a similar one now for €59 but I don't know anything about it.

[quote user="Chris Head"]Yeah but it just looks so.... poncy![/quote]

If they work??? I was once told that I looked a real p r a t when I was using a dollar brolly (chineese paper job, no decoration) that I had bought back from my 2 1/2 years in Singapore. It was bucketing it down and the bloke who said it was soaked in his raincoat. I told him that at least I was a DRY p r a t!! Didn't go down too well. So you see Chris, if it does the job and you can use it safely just about anywhere you can't relly knock it?

The paprework for them says 4 inches...

I've looked at them several times. Could be very usefull to whack back our 82 leylandies that were allowed to grow much too tall!!!

So far though I will stick to my new Sthil easy start 14 inch saw. Wonderful bit of kit. The easy start works by winding up a spring as yu pull the cord and when it gets t the top it kicks the engine over much quicker than you could do it with the 'normal' cord start. What a very simple star idea!![I] I managed to burn out the piston big time on my old, 25 + year old, Sthil saw. The other good toy I have is a 'saw on a stick' Ryobi One Plus 18 volt battery reciprocating saw on the end of a 2 meter or so pole that extends another meter or so. Makes pruning a LOT easier. I can even get into the top of those 'leylandies' of ours. I think that the only thing I like less in our garden is the 75 meter pyracanther (?) hedge that runs down the other side of the garden![:-))]

Quick aside Chris. We have had some lovely veiws of the 'Pair-a-knees' mountains over the past few daze. Snow and a fair amount of it already. It blows our minds to think that we can see them from our top windows and they are over 100 miles away!![blink] Seeing them is enough at the moment for us ta!!