A bench.

Chris Head

Don't think I've posted this before?

It was a tryout for some techniques that had been bugging me, the style will be part of a garden dining set (or interior setting I guess) I'm working on for next year.

The weight is in the region of 170 kilos of Oak & took three of us to move it.

It's combines chainsaw and joinery work & has two coats of a good quality lasure on it; although the owner has darkened it down now.[:(]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/chrishead/DSC01448.jpg[/IMG]

Yeah I remember that one Steve, it's not really my thing, can't really put my finger on it but it's almost as if something natural has been overworked, it feels as if it's trying to be something it's not if you get my drift?  Thank god we all have different tastes eh?

[quote user="powerdesal"]Interesting style Chris, not really my cup of tea but certainly striking.

I see this one as more "you" ( you've seen it before).

[IMG]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h17/powerdesal/Thaiseat.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

Steve

Is that one you made earlier?  If I gave you the wood, would you make me one too?[;-)]

Brilliant. I used to have a few bits of Mouseman furniture,long gone I'm afraid to say but I hope you put your mark on your products?

Mind you it did bring The Wizard of Oz and his Munchkins to mind.

That reminds me.... When I told my sister-in-law that I'd just read that the last of the Munchkins has just died, she replied" Does Ken Dodd know?"

Regards.

Great, a free bench for John. I might just need to rest a couple of times between your place and mine though Chris. Does that count???[:-))]

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Bench3.jpg[/IMG]

Mine weighs nowt in comparison, but it's still too heavy for me to lift on my own really. Made from iron wood and if some silly pillllock were to throw it in our pool it definately would not float. Mind you niether would the twit wot threw it in either!!

Lovely work Chris, but a bit outlandish for me. Reminds me of Bilbo Baggins peut etra...

I must admit that I wasn't totally serious about carrying it home Chris, so you might be safe after all?[blink]

but a bit outlandish for me

How & why JJ? Truth preferred please! It was more an exercise in ergonomics & techniques than style (which is a bit tame for me) the wilder stuff is on it's way springtime....

Ok; so if I can carry your bench can I have it?

I wouldn't mind a play with that ironwood of yours once I get some tools re-instated!

[quote user="Chris Head"]

Ok; so if I can carry your bench can I have it?

I wouldn't mind a play with that ironwood of yours once I get some tools re-instated!

[/quote]

No you can't have my bench! So there? It's a LOT lighter than yours, but still heavy for the size.

The iron wood is not difficult to work, but if you leave a square edge it is very easy to pick up very brittle splinters from it and they are difficult to get rid of! The original large plank was about 9 foot long X 18 inches wide and 2+ inches thick and rough adzed on one side. With another bloke at the other end it was a hernia to lift and carry it. I had to walk it around my workshop and I cut it outside on my groaning B&D workmate. There's a bit left, but not really very much. I have tried turning a bowl with a bit of it and it is very dusty and the grain tends to rip out very easily. I told the guy that gave it to me that I would turn a bowl for him as he wouldn't take any cash either for the wood or the delivery from Bister to Stroud. That was before we moved over so it should be a nice surprise when he gets it!

Your bench... For me the base is too heavy and makes me think of Barny Flintstone. With the size of the seat and legs it looks too short in the leg as it were and as if you are going to sit near the floor. The back is a better proportion for me. The wood looks as only oak can and is lovely

What techniques have you been worrying over?

Taken on board JJ, I agree with you too, for me it didn't 'gel', it sorta looks like the elephant man would be happy with it...but fortunately the owner thinks otherwise!

Techniques were nowt special, just using chainsaw to degrees of accuracy for cutting housing joints & tight radii curves that I haven't done before, sort of trying to increase speed but retain quality type thing...anoraky stuff.

Dad has given me a small lathe which I need to learn to use sometime.

This is just a seed of thought to plant, I spend too much time sanding, lacking the dosh to buy an industrial drum sander I have a theory that the lathe could be used for such an operation? In short; a turned sanding 'drum' left in the lathe and some method of attaching an abrasive to the turned drum; perhaps a foam backing glued to the drum and abrasive from a roll attached to the foam somehow with infeed & outfeed roller stands? It could save an awful lot of time.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Your bench... For me the base is too heavy and makes me think of Barny Flintstone. With the size of the seat and legs it looks too short in the leg as it were and as if you are going to sit near the floor. The back is a better proportion for me. The wood looks as only oak can and is lovely

[/quote]

Funny, individual tastes i guess , but that is what i really like about it. Looks really 'grounded' if that makes sense??  (apart from the fact in the picture it is floating around!). Also visualising it in a garden setting, i like the relationship that would be had between the base and ground below it, grass, plants etc.. Almost gives the image of a fallen tree  to sit on, or a log balanced on large stones, kind of primitive but then having the look of a more traditional bench. Humm hard to describe, but i like it, and most importantly so does the client! [:)]

The most importaint thig is what the customer thinks of it to be sure. Good on yer Chris...

For your sander. Yes you can fit one in a lathe no problems. http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/3/product-Axminster-Large-Drum-Sanders-22105.htm . This sounds just what you are looking for maybe, good price too and much better than a lot of mucking about trying to bodge one. You could make more money than you could save trying?? I'm not sure what attachments/chucks you have, but if I were to mount that in mine I would use my 3/4 inch keyed chuck.

I always use Hermes abrasives too. They are about as good as you can get. If you phone the U.K. Hermes they will give you all the info you need...

Cheers for the link JJ; I was thinking of something that ran the length of the bed of the lathe (ish) between the headstock/chuck & tailstock so wide boards up to maybe 30cm can be sanded in one or two passes if you get me? I've looked around but not found anything so far. The only thing I can find which might be appropriate are floor sanding abrasive belts, about 400mm wide I think, which could be cut to length to & fit to the 'drum' somehow.

Sort of like this http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Jet-16-32-Plus-Drum-Sander-33027.htm but on a smaller scale.

I'd have preferred to have carved the base & seat of the bench from one half of an old growth log; I've got the log but bottled out of using it for this project...it's a biggie & to part with it for mere money didn't seem right.

That's always the prob Moggy when there aren't any rules or rights or wrongs apart from the ones you impose on yourself  I guess you just do it and hope that you hook up with folk who think along the same wavelength? Ta for comments.

• 4 weeks later...

It was a she JJ...& she does all the odd jobs around the house...I wouldn't have sold it to her if I'd have known it was gonna look like a chocolate bench! Still, to each their own I guess?

Reckon you could move it Moggy? It'd take several WeedyFennys just to lift one end![:D]