New wooden staircase

Angie

Hi all

Have a new light coloured hardwood staircase which looks lovely in his natural state but obviously it will get greasy and worn if we leave it like this.  We bought some linseed oil which we thought would protect the wood and bring out the natural grain.  However, we have tested this on an area out of sight and the colour is awful.  It has gone very orange!!  We have also tried using a clear, matt varnish but this gives a slightly yellowy effect.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Would really prefer not to stain the wood (its a sort of light beech colour at the moment) - just something that would protect it and not change the colour significantly.  Thanks.

For beech a neutral Danish Oil would probably look good. I haven't seen it over here, but Rustins in the U.K. do a nice one if either you are going over or you are having visitors. One of our forum members bought some over for me, good lass!![:D]

I say neutral because they do various different shadings. It dries to a lovely sheen after a couple of coats...

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

For beech a neutral Danish Oil would probably look good. I haven't seen it over here, but Rustins in the U.K. do a nice one if either you are going over or you are having visitors. One of our forum members bought some over for me, good lass!![:D]

I say neutral because they do various different shadings. It dries to a lovely sheen after a couple of coats...

[/quote]

Is that right? I've only seen a neutral version of Danish oil. I bought a big tin Liberon Danish oil which I'm bringing out with me for use on our new kitchen worktops. I experimented with it on some off cuts we brought back and the finish is great (on oak).

I'm interested in the answers/suggestions as well as we have a new staircase that needs some treatment. It's hardwood but what exactly I don't know. I've been debating several different varnishes but I have some concern over whether the step treads would be too slippery.

Not sure how Danish oil would perform in that respect?